Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

HELP!! ACT2005 (v7) wont open my DB anymore...

HELP!! ACT2005 (v7) wont open my DB anymore...

The problem seems random to me, that is to say that i cannot think of anything I did to have cuased it...

I can nolonger open my ACT 7 database... it has a lot of entries in it...

"ACT has encountered an error, please shut down the application"

after this it loads a partially whole screen with the side menu and the name of the databas in the blue top bar ... in the area where it displays the count of contacts is says 7/12   I cant view any of them... there ought to be aprx 20,000 contacts.

I tried to copy the whole directory away onto another computer to try and open it there but the computer tells me that the PAD file "is being used by another program" and can not copy...

I reinstalled act and tried again - same effect.

Other databases work.

one more funny little thing - when I hit the email butten (from the half-act, so to speak version that I get after the error) I can view all of the 20000 contact in the list that pops up when I want to compose an email message... so there is that. I can send emails but the database is unreadable in act and I certainly cant add or search antything....

HELP!  Smiley Surprised

Re: HELP!! ACT2005 (v7) wont open my DB anymore...

kazakazak,

Did you recently apply any windows updates?  Go to add/remove program and see if you have Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0.  If you do, uninstall them if they're there.  Those two versions are incompatible with ACT! 2005.

hey I checked and those updates are not installed.

anyone else have any other ideas?  

would updating act have any impact on this situation, make it better? or would it hurt things?

also does anyone know why I cannot copy the directory with the database in it? i get errors when I try. and I have been sure to try when act is not open. or not at any point open during that system session.  

Nickel Super Contributor

kazakazak,

If you are able to open and use other databases, you may want to run mainatenace on the database.

Refer to the following kb:

Database Rebuild and Repair Procedures

The reason you are unable to copy the database/directory is because the database is always attached to the sql instance, regardless if ACT is open or not.

While not fully recommended, you can stop the ACT7 instance in Services and you would then be able to copy or move the database.