Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

HELP - ACT 9.0 Error: “No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it

HELP - ACT 9.0 Error: “No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it

My computer used to be setup at an office. I had ACT on my computer and my assistant had ACT, which pointed to my computer so we shared my database. Now that I am set up on my own, I couldn't open my database and the error was something about not being able to access server or something about a firewall. I decided to unistall and reinstall ACT. After many many problems and manually uninstalling ACT, .NET and SQL Server, I finally got it to complete the install. However, it will not launch. The error when I click on the desktop icon says "ACT! 2007 is already running in another users session". When I go to program folders and click on the other ACT icons it says "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it". 

I followed all the instructions to manually unistall the programs.

I used the Microsft clean-up utitliy.

I have turned off the firewall.

I have done everything I could find on the internet to fix this.

I should also mention that when I bought the computer, my IT guy set it up under my user name for work. When I tried to log on after I couldn't. I had to delete the user accounts they had on there and now I just have me as the user and "guest". All the files for my work profile were hidden and I just moved them to my new profile. What can I do without completely restoring my computer to fix this? I can't lose everything else I have on my PC, but I think all their settings are messing me up.

Thankyou if you have any advise on what to do.