Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

HELP!! ACT! 2011 SQL Server Issue

Copper Contributor

HELP!! ACT! 2011 SQL Server Issue

Good afternoon,

I have ACT! 2011 and it was working this morning until MS7 did some update now I can't open my DB, restore AS or create a new one.

ERROR IS: Unable to create Database. There is an error connectiong to the Microsoft SQL server,

Can anyone help?

Thank you,

CDuarte

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: HELP!! ACT! 2011 SQL Server Issue

Hello CDuarte,

The update may have turned off the SQL service. Try this:

- Click your Windows Start button. From the Start menu, either click Run (Windows XP) or go to the Search box (Vista, Windows 7) and type in services.msc

- When the list of services comes up, scroll down and locate SQL Server (ACT7)

- Right-click on the service and select either Start or Restart, whichever is not grayed out

- After the services starts up, close the services screen

- Open ACT! and see if you can access your database

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Thank you that seems to have fixed it, I greatly appreciate it.

Copper Contributor

i tried that, because i am having the same issue,, it all started when windows did an automatic update it seems,,, either way i tried to do this and it does not work,, it says " windows could not start the sql server (act7) on local computer for more info ,, bla bla bla
can anyone help,, i have been at it for 3 days,,, i have tried a plethera of other suggestions,,, help me out,,,
Copper Contributor

I saw your post and thought I would give it a try for my problem. I am running ACT 2011 Pro. I upgraded to Win 7 Professional from Vista. Couldn't open my databases. Went to services.msc and started my SQL Server (ACT 70 and it worked. I would have never figured that one out. Thanks for the post.

Bronze Super Contributor

This may go without saying, but in case it does not - always a good idea to reboot the PC after Windows Updates are applied - even if Windows doesn't specifically ask/tell you to...

How can I change the settings at startup so that I dont have to go into services.msc and manually start the SQL Server for ACT every time I start my computer? There must be away to change the startup boot protocol? Pleaee help.

Copper Contributor

After you go to start, run, services.msc...

you can tell the services to start automatically, instead of being manual.

Right click on the service, choose properties, then in the drop down you can select Automatic.

Hope that helps.

James Burlew
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer & Hosting Provider
www.designr1.com
(877) 755-9029

Follow us on:

Want to know more about Hosting ACT! in the Cloud? Click Here!

Mine is set the automatic and I find myself having to start it quiet often.It is a real pain.

I am also out of virtual memory every morning on the main database PC but I suspect this is a Delll driver rather than ACT at this point. (unless others are having the same issue with Act 2011 and Vista?)

Platinum Super Contributor

If the SQL Server (ACT7) service keeps stopping, you'll want to check your Automatic Updates (Windows Updates) - look for any SQL update attempting to apply.  If there is one listed, it is most likely the cause of your problem.  You can remove/hide the update so that it will no longer attempt to apply through Automatic Updates.  Depending on the SQL update attempting to apply, we may have instructions in our Knowledgebase for applying it manually.

Greg Martin
Sage