Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

HELP! ACT! 2006 database problem

HELP! ACT! 2006 database problem

My computer running windows XP home edition crashed and I had to wipe the drive and reinstall XP.  Before I did this, I pulled both the ADF and ALF files for my database off the drive.  I have reinstalled ACT! 2006 and Microsoft .NET but when I tried to access the database I got this error: "could not run BEGIN TRANSACTION in database "example" because the database is read only."  I then went into the properties of the file and unchecked the "read only" box and when I try to open the database now, I get the following error message: "the database "example" could not be accessed.  In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available.  It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server."  The database is on the same machine as the program; I'm not going to a network drive to access it.  I haven't installed any firewall software yet, so I don't know what to try next.  Please help!  Thanks.

Re: HELP! ACT! 2006 database problem

update on my problem: I realized I had unchecked "read only" on the ADF file but not the ALF file.  I unchecked "read only" on the ALF file and I'm now back to the original error message of: "could not run BEGIN TRANSACTION..."  Thanks.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Did you copy the ADF and ALF files onto the hard drive? Can you open the ACTDEMO database?
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I did copy both files to the hard drive and I can open the demo database.  It seems that as I try different things, I get different errors.  I tried to open the database just now and got the message that act was going to verify the database.  When I clicked ok, I got the error message that the database already exists and an act! pop up window that says "working" and it just hangs there.
Platinum Elite Contributor

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it is likely that your database files were damaged in the crash. To verify this go to ACTDIAG ( Start | Run | type ACTDIAG | press Enter) and check the database list and see if you database is listed as Suspect. The repair tool in ACTDIAG won't work an a database listed as suspect. Pleas check the private message I have sent to you.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129