Accepted Solution Solved
tcv
Accepted Solution

Groups, Reports, and Programatically Populating a Field

Hey folks,

I am tweaking a report that is created this way:

1. Click the Groups button on the left.

2. Right-click one of the Groups in the list and select "Create Lookup."

3. Under the Reports menu choose Another Template and choose my custom report.

Right now, my custom report has a single line at the top of it: "Contact List." I wonder if there is a way to programatically fill in that field with the name of the Group from which the Lookup was created?

I am checking because, otherwise, I'll need to save various versions with different titles. It's not a lot of work, but I thought I'd ask.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author tcv
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Groups, Reports, and Programatically Populating a Field

Group report would be one of the choices on the new report dialog.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Super Contributor

I'm unable to come up with a way for having the 'Group' name populate on the heading of your report without having to first populate a field in the contact data.  There is no relationship from the Group screen to the Lookup results to feed to the report.  Depending on the number of templates you will have to create, having separate templates may be your best option.  There are add-on reporting solutions available (such as Crystal Clear and Stonefield), you may want to look at them and see if they will produce the type of report you desire.  A list of add-ons can be found at Act! Certified Add-ons.

Greg Martin
Sage
tcv

After reading your message, I had initially thought putting a Group field on the Contacts detail sheet would work, but, unfortunately, a contact can be a member of multiple groups, so I don't think that would work. 

Thanks for the insight. It's certainly less expensive to make the multiple forms. I will work on that. 

Copper Contributor

Hi M - welcome to the ACT! Community.

On your report question, have you looked at one of the Group Reports? I don't know what other data you have on the report, but if you run a Group Report for the Current Group it will list the Group Name at the top. 

Hope that helps - 

Stacy Roach
Swiftpage Gold Drip Marketing Certified Consultant
San Francisco Bay Area

www.po3inc.com
Email Stacy
tcv

Hmmm... Thanks. I will take a peek at this. The Report template I do have is fairly customized but basic. Mostly it's just set up to make sure certain fields have enough space and 12 names fit on one landscape page.

Perhaps I can open up one of the Group reports and see how it prints out the Group name...

tcv

Maybe this is a clue?

I opened up a Group template and saw that the field "Group Name" was there. So, I opened up my template and tried to add a Group Name field, but all I see are Contact related fields.

How can I add a Group Name field?

Cheers,

It looks like the from your posts that the report you built does not have a subreport so the way the built the report that you want is to start as a group report that you would want to run for the currecnt group and you would add a subreport to the report for the contact information. It's a bit mor complex than yoru report but still very simple.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
tcv

Wellllll.. I'm not sure. I see your point that I would want to start it as a Group Report, and I'd create a subreport for the contact data...

But how do I ensure that the very meticulous field sizes, locations, etc, in my current contact report wind up the exact same way in the Group subreport w/o having to essentially replace and re-do all those fields?

I'm only asking because it's been many, many, many weeks just to get the fields right. We came from Act 2000 and so much changed that Sage told us to recreate the reports that didn't convert properly.

Thanks!! 

To answer your one question, all ACT! reports have a primary table connection. They are Contact, Group, Company, Opportunity and Product. Each of those types can have subreports associated with it.

Regarding converting you existing report template, I believe I could do it but it would require an in depth knowledge of the report structure and would include direct editing of the template XML code.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
tcv

When one creates a new report template, how does one determine what type of report it is? Group vs. Contact, for instance.