Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Group or Field - which to set up?

Tuned Listener

Group or Field - which to set up?

(This is my first post; apologies up front if I'm in the wrong forum.)

I'm going through my entire database (1400 contacts) and rethinking how we're using ACT.  We often want to narrow a Group Lookup by another Group, but I'm finding that difficult to do.  I've seen the AddOn for this, but this leads me to another very fundamental question.  Why have Groups at all?  Why not use Fields for everything?  You can Lookup by Field, narrow the Lookup by other Fields, etc. and it seems do everything I would need. 

What am I missing here?  How are Groups fundamentally different from Fields, please? 

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Group or Field - which to set up?

First I'll say that I hope others add their comments to your post because Groups can be used by different people in different ways. 

Groups are commonly used to quickly pull up sets of Contacts oft referenced and to reduce the number of 'clicks' to obtain that list.  From your description, you could set up Dynamic Criteria using your Lookup and Narrow commands as the basis.  

Greg Martin
Sage
Tuned Listener

Re: Group or Field - which to set up?

Thanks.  Over several long computer sessions of struggling with this, I finally bought "Group It" and it works well.  I can create Lookups with a more complex search criteria of my Groups.

I really have to wonder why the ACT software was written this way, not allowing better Lookup searches of groups just as you can do with Fields. 

I would still like a better understanding of how to fundamentally think about Groups vs Fields, and when to use each.  As you've suggested, is it simply lesser clicks?  Is that all?