Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Group Member Count without List

Group Member Count without List

I have read numerous posts on getting a membership count from Groups.  The Group List Report with member Count being the best among them.  I used the Group Membership Report and modified it per the instructions in the aforementioned article.  I have 55 Groups and or Sub Groups at present.  I have a working Group List Report that gives a Group Membership Count after Stating the Group List Name and then listing every member of the group in question. 

When that report ran it was over 100 pages long and it performed like a charm if you want a Group List and its count.  However, I would like to play with Property Window settings in Report Dialog to make certain portions of the report invisible so that the report will only show Group Name and Group Membership Count. 

That way I will have 2 versions: The Group list with Membership Count (well over 100 pages) and the much shorter 2 page Group Name Only with Membership Count for each Group Name report.   

Is there anyone among the group that can give me direction in how to modify the Properties Window in Report Dialog to get the result I am looking for?  I have already spent the better part of 5 hours and came close once (3 pages) but when I tried to modify it further, I lost that version and could not recreate it despite hours of trying.  If I could get it back to the 3 pages or something close, I would be satisfied.   

Thanks,  Mark

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Group Member Count without List

Thanks Mike for the Reply.  Thanks for the link to Roy's site.  It appears that he has a package of pre done reports and will do custom reports as well.  I am still hoping to see if someone can give me guidance on visibility settings in the Properties window of ACT's report writer.  There is so many possibilities if I knew how to tweak that window.

Thanks, again.   Mark

I just edited the Group Membership report
On the line with the Group Name, I added the Contact Field "Create Date" - I used that because every record has one
Then I clicked on it and changed it to Summary - Count
Then I removed the Contact field header labels
Then, I went to the Contact Detail and set the "Visible" Property for the section as False
Finally, I saved it with a different name

Could do with some prettying up, but sounds like what you're after

Mike, Thanks for the quick response to my thanks.  I attempted to follow your directions as follows:

• I added the Contact Field "Create Date" on the same line as Group Name.  I clicked on it and changed it from Data to Summary Count.
  • I ran the report because if it did not get me the Group Member Count showing up, it would not be necessary to change visibility settings. 

The Create Date modified to summary count gave me a count of 6,679.  My total contact count in ACT is currently 990.  I then deleted the Create Date on the Group Name and added my earlier Group Member Counter ("GMC") per the instructions I commented on previously.  I did that because using those instructions the GMC gave me the correct Group Member Count.  The report worked but it was 100+ pages. 

While the Group Member Counter worked fine in the Sub Report Footer (the other instructions had me put them there), by placing the GMC on the same line as Group Name, it gave me an identically wrong count (6,679).  There must be some significance for the GMC to be included in the Sub Report Footer based on the results.

Regardless, I tried to modify visibility settings per your instructions but could not find "Contact Detail".  There are other fields close but the ones I tried to modify did not have "true" or "false" options for visibility.  I selected "no" for visible instead.  The report did not give me a result when I ran it. 

Conceptually, I liked your idea.  It was well worth the time to try it.  Did you get an accurate member count trying it?  Also, can you be a bit more detailed on what visibility properties you modified and whether they were in the main report or sub report.  That would greatly be appreciated. 

Thanks again,   Mark

The attachment function here doesn't work with rep files ...

Drop me a message via http://www.glcomputing.com.au/contact.php and I'll send you the one I created

What you want should be possible but it's very involved. You're doing a count in a subreport but trying to display it in the main report. That can be done but it requires some complex scripting.

There is a third party book with comprehensive training information on the ACT! reports, here is the link.

https://www.packtpub.com/sage-act-2011-dashboard-and-report-cookbook/book

Full disclusure I wrote the reports chapters of the book.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hey I have really appreciated Mike's help and assistance the past few hours.  I have yet to be able to reproduce his success with Group Member Report modifications to get a Group Member Count without the list of contacts in each group on my system.  My Group Member Count runs fast but for my 50+ groups and 990 contacts it prints approx 150+ pages.  A Group Member Count Report without Contacts shown should print in no more than 4 pages at the high side with my 50+ groups and 990 contacts. 

I would love to send anyone a working copy of my Group Member Count Report w Contacts Listed in each group if you would like to take it and modify it to remove the Contacts listed.  I came close once but can not reproduce my prior result.  I cannot attach the file to this post like you can in other computer user groups, so email me if you want the file.  I would appreciate your help.  Thanks

Roy, thanks for the response.  I would like to keep everything in the main report without having to use the subreport.  Mike Lazarus modified his report on the main side without modifcations to the subreport but when he gave me the file and or I followed his directions to modify without his file, I could not produce the result.

There must be something about the report writer needing the "Group Member Count" field to exist in the subreport footer.  I do not know why but when I place that "Group Member Count" field elsewhere I can not even come close to the same result on my end.  

Thanks,  Mark

I thought I had it working before ... I was pretty tired and might have not looked at it correctly.

I'll try again when I have time, but it's more likely that I made an error - such is the respect I give Roy on this subject