Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Group Look ups.

Copper Elite Contributor

Group Look ups.

When I look up a Group I would like the contacts in all the sub-groups of that Group to appear - how do I do that? Example follows.

I have groups with 2 or 3 tiers of sub-groups. The top tiers have no names in as they are all in the lower tiers based on criteria e.g. Tier 1  Group: Speedshow; next layer Sub Group: SpeedShow Admin, Speedshow Customers; Next layer Sub Group: SS Customers 2007, SS Customers 2008; Prospects, SS No's. The names are all in the bottom layer and most of the work is done at this level. The problem is if I want to look up all Speedshow Customers I get no names, when I actually want all the names in all the groups included below Speedshow Customers.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Group Look ups.

The Groups and Subgroups are actually separate entities that are not linked on a contact level.  The hierarchy you see is just a visual heirarchy.  To query for the members of a group and it's subgroup, you will need to run and Advanced Query and put the names of the group and each of it's subgroups into the query.

You can also run a Group Membership Report (Reports/Group Reports) to get a printed view of members in selected Group and Subgroups.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Group Look ups.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, now I know why I can't do it. I guess when I put contacts in a group I could manually put them in all upline groups as an option.

Tried Advanced Query, Group or Sub Group does not appear to be an option in the Field Name selector (Act 9), and I can't see any other way.

So the query becomes how do I do a look up for all the contacts in Group A plus all in Group B plus all in Group C for example, and get them on one list. (ACTually when I bought ACT the group function was attractive, looked more useful than Categories in Outlook, and this was the sort on of look up I was hoping to be able to do.)