Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Group List Report with member count

Group List Report with member count

[ Edited ]

Hope someone is watching this thread and has an answer please as I need a report to show group names and a count of contact in each respective group line by line. Thanks Wilson

[Edit: subject line updated]

Message Edited by ghollister on 04-15-2010 09:24 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Group List Report with member count

[ Edited ]

Hello Wilson,

There is a way to make a Group Report, such as the Group Membership report do this. You will need to do some initial setup of your database, but after that you just have to run the report. Follow these steps:

- Create a new Contact field (Tools/Define Fields)..call it Group Member Counter. When creating this field, there will be a screen where you can assign a default value when creating a new contact...make this value 1. There is no need to add it to the contact layout unless you want to.

- Put the same value in this field for all existing contacts. Do this by going to Edit/Replace Field. Choose the GMC field and make the value equal to 1. Now all current and new contacts will have a value of one for this field

- Go to Reports/Edit Template and open the Group Membership report

- When this opens, go to File/Save As and rename it as desired (i.e.. Group Member Count). This is to preserver the standard report

- In the designer, double-click on the Subreport: (Contacts) to open that subreport

- In this Contacts subreport, click Field on the left and add the "Group Member Count" field you created earlier to the Section 1-Footer section.

- When this field appears, right-click on the field data holder [C:Group Membership Count] and select Properties

- Under the Data tab, choose Summary. Click Apply, then click OK.

- Go to Edit/Define Sections. Click on "Section 1"  (under Page Header) on the left.

- On the right, change the value for "Select a record type" to Contact.

- In the Fields dropdown below, select the "Group Member Counter" field you created earlier. Sorting order does not matter. Click OK.

- In the dropdown right below the font selection in the upper left hand corner, select to go to the "report name"[Main] report. Save the report.

- Go to File/Run. In the filters, choose All Groups and All Users. Run the report to test. If satisfied, save the report close the report designer.

As long as the Group Membership Count field has the same value for all contacts, this should work. The default value setting you did when you created the field should ensure this happens for all new contacts. I would not advise putting this field on your layout unless you make it Read-Only, so no one will accidentally change it.

This worked for me when tested it - hope it works for you.

Message Edited by ghollister on 04-20-2010 05:42 PM

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

The number of profiles within a report displays on my computer but not on the other computers that have the same ACT! software --- how do I get it to show up on the other computers???

Platinum Elite Contributor

Is it not showing on other computers or for other ACT! users? What if you log into ACT! under a different user on your machine? Or if you log into ACT! with your username on a different machine? The issue may be user access to the contacts within the groups. The report I described above is dependent on that count field within the contact record.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.