Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Group Custom Columns Reset

Tuned Listener

Group Custom Columns Reset

In an office with 10 users on ACT! 2011 Premium (13.0.4 Hotfix 2), every computer has this same issue. The group detail view's customized columns revert to default randomly.

This ONLY effects the group detail view and does NOT effect the contact list or seemingly any other columns in the database. Also worth mentioning they only have 1 database. So they're not switching between multiple databases. However when I open the local demo copy, I often get errors when attempting to customize columns. That is likely related to the issue.

Here is what we've done so far.

1. Delete preferences incase they're corrupt (done this multiple times)

2. Tell Anti-virus to ignore all ACT folders including the app data folder

3. Changed to a different antivirus (for other reasons) but made no difference for this issue

4. Set the group detail view file to READ ONLY within the app data folders

5. pulled hair out

None of these options have had any impact on the issue. The issue is intermittent and after months seems to have no real tie-in to a function they're doing that causes it. Though the end users say it seems to happen more often when they reboot. They belive it's happened without a reboot as well and a reboot doesn't guarantee that the columns get lost either. So we're not sure if rebooting has much to do with it.

Any ideas?

PS: I did do a few searches and read all the other posts about this issue. The other posts seem fairly old (from 2009) so figured we could use a new one of these that's specific to the issue that doesnt' involve multiple databases.

Marshall Hayes
ACT! Certified Consultant
Hayes Consulting LLC
www.HayesConsultingOnline.com
Tuned Listener

Re: Group Custom Columns Reset

I just realized that 13.0.4 is not the most recent version. I'm updating all computers to SP1 and will test further from there.
Marshall Hayes
ACT! Certified Consultant
Hayes Consulting LLC
www.HayesConsultingOnline.com
Copper Contributor

I am having the same problem.  It applies only to Groups and appears to happen randomly.  Very frustrating to have to re-add columns to your layout several times a week.   

Did anyone ever address your problem?  Is anyone out there looking at this?  Is this related to the multiple reported problems with the Preferences file? 

It's the little things that frustrate users, administrators and ACT customers.  While it may not seem an important issue to address, it's important to the ACT customers that it happens to! 

I hope someone out there can help and will help. 

Copper Contributor

Is anyone else out there having this problem? 

Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Breaker 1  9   come in,

You mentioned that u were not switching back and forth between databases with these multiple users, but if I am correct, you mentioned that you also opened the ACT! demo database?

Here is my current experience with this Column settings issue with ACT!2011/2012.

The way to determine if you do have most curent release is from the ACT! site - download center(not form the ACT! toolbar check for updates option.

Columns for Groups and Opportunities 2011 2012? have this issue, Sage got the prob resolved in the Contact module.

Opening the demo data base is switching data bases and as I have multiple ACT! databases on any given pc what I do to minimize the impact is this;

I first open the database that has the columns set they way I want them to stay.

Then I open different databases as needed and ACT! keeps the column setting of the 1st database that is opened when Starting ACT!.  Hope that makes cents and hope it helps.

Also it may help to Bakup Personal Files as well as the ACT! database daily. I don't recall if you can recover column settings by restoring a daily personal files backup? Mite be somthing to look into if it means easier recovery method??

cheers- FSB

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html