Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Google integration DISASTER with Act Pro 2013

Google integration DISASTER with Act Pro 2013

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I am using Act Pro 2013 Version 15.1.108.0. The reason to purchase this version was Google integration.

Let me tell you, do not purchase this version to avoid that you end up in a disaster like I have experienced !!!

I am working a lot with recurring events in my calendar, e.g. birthday of customers, meetings and other activities. Last week I activate integration with Google. After the first synchronisation the Act calendar and Google agenda were both filled with a few duplicate recurring events. It surpised me, but sometimes that happens and I just delete those few duplicates. Afterwards I checked Act calendar and Google agenda. The single recurring events were in place as it should be. Sofar no worries.

Unfortunately during the last week the duplicates were growing every minute, it grew up to 9.600 events including alarms. I stopped Google integration. I checked also with some other Act users around me and they all experienced the same. 

It appeared that I unfortunately can not delete all in once the events in Act calendar. I was forced to kill my Google agenda, as it is an endless task to get all those duplicates out of the Google Agenda manually. The same counts also for Act Calendar.

Despite my worries, I started my first attempt to erase the duplicate events in Act calendar by selecting the first date of the recurring event and  that I activated the recurring events, this to erase those duplicate events manually from the first day. By also select the option "Delete all occurrences". With my thought that then the duplicate event will be deleted untill the pre selected end date. The process of deleting went well (no erros messages). But unfortunately the future duplicates has not been deleted at all and there are still present in the Act agenda. That should not be the case as I have deleted  the whole recurring event from the beginning until the end. The strange thing is that when I click an future duplicate event, it can not be deleted as I got the message : "The activity has been deleted by its organiser. It can not be uncleared. " So I can not do anything.

I am realising that I have a major problem. My Act Agenda is completely messed up with 9.600 duplicate events, including alarms which I can not get rid off. I can not do at all anything. Due to this large event list, the Act application takes a few hours to sync for example with alternatives like Outlook or using it by mobile.

It is now a complete mess and actually I have to set up a complete new Act database. But unfortunately I can not split agenda, activities and contacts. So that will be a huge task to get things working again. Do you have any suggestions to fix this?

As you know when I purchase this software and Act is promoting the Google integration as one of the great features of this version, then I may expect that this application includes properly working features. I have not seen any bugfix updates. I can not believe that I am the only user who is facing this major problem.

So question to the readers or visitors of this community. Who can help me out of this mess, do you have reasonable advices (no open doors please...;-) ), who should I hold accountable for this mess? Who is paying my damage?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Re: Google integration DISASTER with Act Pro 2013

There are a couple of reasons that this can occur. If the activities happen to have multiple people associated with it, it can create multiple activities (One for each contact) in the Google calendar, then when it syncs back, create new activities in Act!

Another reason could be if you synchronize your Google calendar or Act! database with another device or service.

Is the only synchronization that you have set up the Google Integration?
Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Visit our knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com

My main agenda is Act calendar. Goolge agenda is just a vehicle to communicate with Act on my mobile device (Android). Only ad-hoc meetings will be planned in Google agenda by using my mobile.

My recurrent meetings are not linked to any other person than myself. All recurrent appointments has been inserted in the Act calendar.

In my opinion Outlook calendar is en should be out the loop.

Any ideas to avoid thousands of recurrent appointments in my calendar?

If you had set up Outlook synchronization with Act! and Google synchronization with Act! together, this will create duplicates. I would recommend checking your preferences to make sure that Outlook is not also synchronizing with Act!. If it is, disable it to prevent further duplication.

If you synchronize your Google account with any other service or program, this can also create duplication. 

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Visit our knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com
Bronze Elite Contributor

Marc,

Out of interest, did you edit any of the recurring activities after the intial synch? 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog