Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Google Calendar and Contact Integration issues

Copper Contributor

Google Calendar and Contact Integration issues

Just recently (the last couple of days) my Act (V17, Windows 8) will not sync my calendar with Google (unable to connect to Google calendar error) and the contacts "all sync" category is showing "0" contacts to sync to Google. My setup was fine a week ago, but all of a sudden, this problem as begun. Oddly enough, the records integration with email is fine. 

Now, a couple of posts said this is due to a Google API change and Act will need to hotfix it to repair. Anyone able to help or shed some light on this?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Google Calendar and Contact Integration issues

Google did one their surprise API changes ...
Act! development is currently researching what it will take to update the integration and make it work again. There is no time-frame for this at the moment
Bronze Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

GLComputing wrote:
Google did one their surprise API changes ...

Edit. The forum removed the word I actually used here, and replaced it with an '*'. What I said was "B O L L - O C K S".

On the 24th of June this year (2014) Google said:

Back in November 2011, we announced the deprecation of the Calendar GData API (v1, v2) when the APIv3 was made available. We’ll now be shutting down these older versions on November 17, 2014.

Any service dependent on the Calendar GData API (v1, v2), such as the Google Calendar Connectors (GCC), will no longer work as intended. GCC users should update to use Calendar Interop or their own custom built connectors that sync with v3 of the API.

Source: http://googleappsupdates.blogspot.com.au/2014/06/calendar-gdata-api-google-calendar.html

That is not a surprise API change.

Ben.

Bronze Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ben,

"That is not a surprise API change."

I somewhat agree;  but this is not a surprise since Google post thousand of blogs a day. Picking up on this one would have required Herculean strength.

There were many other MAJOR crms and add-on partners who missed it. Some of them made announcements regarding time frames (Swiftpage), a small percentage already fixed the issue and others have not even made an announcement.

Its nice to see Swiftpage working on the issue. They are looking at 1-2 weeks from 11/17/2014 to have the hot patch released.

Lets see how they perform under pressure.

-- Jim Durkin

Bronze Super Contributor

jimdurkin wrote:

Ben,

"That is not a surprise API change."

I somewhat agree;  but this is not a surprise since Google post thousand of blogs a day. Picking up on this one would have required Herculean strength. 

As I've said to others, if you choose to dance with the devil, you should learn the steps.

This is part reply to Jim and part expansion on my previous thoughts.

I know that's a rather harsh point of view, but the bottom line is that if someone builds a product based on the technology provided by another, there is a responsibility on both parties. One to provide information in a timely manner, the other to keep up with that information.

Microsoft, Yahoo, Apple, Google, Sage, Swiftpage, Quickbook, Redhat (and other linux distros) - all of them have tech that we rely upon for mail servers, antivirus, apps, productivity, accounting, back end servers, hardware etc etc. 

I get that there is a firehose of information flowing out of Google, but RSS feeds and search tools have been developed by Google and a myriad of others to help filter the noise out of the signal. 

I can't fault Google for springing this 'suprise' on us. They told the world. In public. If people are going to build and depend on a technology, isn't there a level of due diligence resting with the developers?

Use Google for this. It's google news feeds. i.e. visit here: google calendar api and then click the *create alert* button at the bottom of the page. Plug that rss feed into your feed reader. (If you don't use an RSS Feed Reader, then go google it. I'd suggest Feedly.com).

Thusly, no. I do not believe it requires herculean strength. It requires using the right tool for the right job.

It is beholden on developers and resellers alike to keep themselves informed about things in their industry.

Are we going to miss stuff. Yes. We will.

But if enough of us are doing this, and talking to each other, then we will gain awareness before it 'suprises' us.

Now, for a different tack... I've had one person ask why couldn't Google have simply left the old API there to work? Great question. I don't know. That's a question for them. This situation is all black and white, I'm not backing google to the hilt, but I'm not faulting them for suprising us.

Ben.

Copper Contributor

I really do appreciate the responses, even though they are not a solution they do show the problem. However, my concern here is I have a paid version of Act, new, and have used a new version as frequently as my business can afford it.

Yet, the purpose of buying Act was for the Google integration. My frustration lies in that I paid for a service they emphasized the ability to work with Google. 

Regardless of API changes and whatnot with Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, etc., is that when your product says it can do something with "y" and 1 month after buying it it fails to work with "y", that to me is a MASSIVE problem. It is the responsibility of the party that is incorporating this function into their product that they sell for profit to maintain the compatibility and solve any issues. If they cannot, then do not offer it. Act has a bad habit of solving issues with the next version and not fixing the current version at all. I do know many would agree with that statement.

I really do hope they are working on a fix for this. I do find it strange I see little to no posts on this issue, which leads me to believe I am in the few of those who use this service. 

If anyone has an updates to this issue, I would be very happy to hear them.

Bronze Super Contributor

I think tje reason why there are not more messages is because very few business users use GMail for there business.

Outlook has been and remains the main email system for businesses.

Not an excuse but a reason!

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Copper Contributor

I too was disappointed in this feature stopping with no warning on November 17! I am currently trying out an old method I used with my Blackberry, Companion Link. It is working flawlessly and if you use their Pro version you get secondary contacts and notes downloaded as well.
Copper Contributor

This whole Google thing is a "Cluster". FYI- in hopes of saving others some brain damage, I loaded the latest Companionlink Pro WITH the "Beta" update for V3. It totally crashed my Act calendar. They sent me some additional files to load, when I did, my machine said I already had newer versions and would not load them. I had to rebuild my Act from a previous backup.

I have given up on Companionlink because it will not work with my Act 2012 V14.1.108.0

Next I thought maybe backdoor it thru Outlook. Now my Act "says" sync is complete and successful HOWEVER Zero contacts get loaded into Outlook from Act. This route is useless as well.

Yet another reason to simply HATE the product you love so much - Act, in any version.

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

So far....  Companion Link Pro has worked flawlessly for me with Act 2012 V14.1.108.0.  It sounds like you may have something else going on.  I insisted on a free tech support session after Swiftpage told me that the Google API situation was fixed with the latest version of ACT, which I tried and found didn't synch properly.  I could not reinstall V 14 and to Swiftpage's credit, they helped me repair V 14 so that I am back up an running again.