Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Goldmine

Goldmine

I am currently working in Shanghai and use Goldmine version 6.7 for personal use.

I am considering switching to Act, does anybody have any experience of using both systems? Which appears to be the most successful?

If I do indeed switch to Act, is it possible to transfer contact data from Goldmine to Act?

Also, I am considering linking my team of 4 ppl together, do I need Premium for this? Could somebody explain exactly how we are linked, are we linked via a wireless interent connection?

Thanks in advance for your help!

John

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Goldmine

Most people find ACT! much easier to use.

To convert Goldmine data, you would use MigrateAdmin

You don't need Premium for less than 10 users unless you need tome of the additional features.

Thanks for your help, as i'm in China they only sell premium so i guess i'll have to buy that. now i will be using it just on my computer, i wont be connected to other people in my office via a server, however 2 other people in my office will want the software on their computer also, do this still mean i will have to buy the software for 3 users?

also to move data from my goldmine to act, does the migrate admin program you recommended work with act premium 2009 version 11?

Tks for all your help.

what do i need to purchase to allow my act to be synchronised with my blackberry, all i would want added to blackberry would be the calendar, i wouldnt want to add all contacts etc as i have thousands of contacts on the system. tks

and do u know if i would need to purchase multiple users for act 2009 if we are just using on single computers, not linking to a network?

Yes, you'd need 3 licenses - one for each user.

I personally use Handheld Contact to link ACT! to my Blackberry ... we even have support for it in China (well, Hong Kong)

It allows you to select which contacts to send.

Bronze Contributor

Hello John.

I recently moved to ACT 2008 and now to ACT 2009 from Goldmine.  The main reason is the ability by ACT to handle eMail that Goldmine 6.5 didn't seem to handle very well.  There are a number of things I still like about Goldmine that you won't find in ACT (unless you join me in posting requests for desired features).

The first is there is no library function.

The second is that the contact's history listing gives you up to 7 lines of text, even if there is just space there.  Goldmine history gives a list of one liners that makes it easier to scan and search.  Interesting is that in ACT, there is a preview pane to the right that also allows copy and paste.  Therefore, I don't understand why the listing is verbose.

The ACT approach to companies is their answer to Goldmine's org chart.  Personally, I still like the Goldmine approach better than ACT, but I'm dealing with it and learning how to use it.

On the very positive side, it is extremely easy to add/modify fields and screen layouts.  A real headache with GM.

Look for some of the add-ons, some of which have already been mentioned.  The one I added for eMail is from CRM-Service.com out of Germany.  They have a fantastic eMail interface for Outlook. 

The ACT community seems to be much more friendly here and really try hard to help you with any problem you have. 

I'm currently having a little problem and am confident that I will be helped hopefully within a few hours.

Well, as they say, that's my 2 cents worth (and with that you get change).

Hope it goes well for you, and let me know if you would like another person's approach to setting up ACT when you have a mindset for GM.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB, Win 10 Pro, & Office 365, 32bit

I am also converting from Goldmine 6.7 to Act 2009. MigrateAdmin works perfectly for converting all the contacts, call notes, groups, etc but it converts GM e-mail to an attachment under the Act contact. That means you have to take a couple of extra steps to launch the attachment and read the old e-mail. In GM it was handy just to see the e-mail histroy while talking to a person on the phone. I hired a conversion service, but they were far worse than MigrateAdmin at twice the cost. A total waste of money.

Is there any other way to get the Goldmine e-mail to convert into the histrory or notes tab in Act? And preserve attachments.

Since there is no more single user product offering with Goldmine, I feel the need to migrate before Vista or a new IE makes my version of GM unusable. I am very happy with the user interface in Act. Seems a little sluggish to open though.

The first is there is no library function.

What did it do? Maybe there's a different way?

The second is that the contact's history listing gives you up to 7 lines of text, even if there is just space there.  Goldmine history gives a list of one liners that makes it easier to scan and search.  Interesting is that in ACT, there is a preview pane to the right that also allows copy and paste.  Therefore, I don't understand why the listing is verbose.

The preview is a recent addition and an optional feature... I guess for people used to the old way,they didn't make it onne line

On the very positive side, it is extremely easy to add/modify fields and screen layouts.  A real headache with GM.

Ease-of-use has always been an area that ACT! has been better than GM