Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Gmail with ACT!

Gmail with ACT!

I have been using act for years and years. I just upgraded from v6, mostly because I need the email capabilities that I have not been using for several years. I switched over to gmail because I was sick of having to tell customers over and over that my email had changed. I'm very happy with gmail.

So there is a prioblem. ACT evidently (and I'm still trying to verify this) doesn't interface to gmail. Instead, you have to run a second program... Outlook. So what's the problem with that? Well first, my versions of Outlook have proven to be very unstable. The software I currently have freezes up every time I clock on the In box. And when something like this happens, Sage washes their hands of it and refers me to Microsoft. But there is no such thing as a human being to talk to ad Microsoft. And if you think going to a Microsoft forum to have a week-long discussion, or flopping around in a Knowledge-Base is going to work... think again. But what more... if you have to have Outlook anyway, why use ACT? Outlook has a very respectable BusinessManagement interface that does quite well for itself.

My first impression here is that it might be better to package this software up and get my money back.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Gmail with ACT!

Gmasil uses some non-standard ports that ACT!'s Internet Mail client can't use. ACT! actually works very well with Outlook.

You might post a request for this feature to be considered for a future version here - http://www.act.com/community/feature

Input from this web page goes directly into a database that management has direct access to read, and which they also track and gather statistics on.

Mike, thanks for the information. Can you tell me if there are any more little surprises involved? I got the impression, for instance, that if one used Outlook Express, there were some sort of limitations with regard to formatting, or graphics... or something like that.

It looks like when you purchase ACT, you are stuck with Outlook, whether you like it or not, since there are only three preference buttons to choose from in the email settup... one is the Internet Mail button, which doesn't work, and the other two are Outlook buttons. And it still just doesn't make sense to me to use BOTH ACT and Outlook. If I have to use Outlook, I'll use their Business Manager Addon... or I'll order a copy of Goldmine.

Platinum Elite Contributor

The Outlook Express API doesn't support HTML emails, so it's limited to text.

BCM is really quite poor compared to ACT!, but it uses Outlook for email also.

I believe Goldmine has the same issue with Gmail as well. SSL email servers, like Gmail, are fairly new and many products haven't yet supported them

Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been using GMail with ACT for some time.  Google allows GMail to be configured with IMAP access, which will give you the folder hierarchy in Outlook (the IMAP client).  When you get it setup, either choose the new GMail account as your default, or just pick via the drop-down when composing a message.

Also, when receiving email, you get all the ACT quick-links, like attach message to contact, create activity, etc.

However, now that I'm thinking of it, I wonder if I could just put in the GMail IMAP settings directly into the ACT email setup, using the "Internet" option.  I guess that will be my homework this evening.

Hope this helps...

Richard Brust - ACC

rbrDataSolutions@gmail.com  <<<--- yeah, baby!

p.s. I do not have any issues with Outlook, and have not for years, if ever.  You might want to take a look at your setup, computer, patches, etc.  Often, keeping the computer up-to-date is your best option instead of trying to get applications to work around existing issues...

Message Edited by rbrust on 11-11-2008 08:06 PM
Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com

What did you find out about using the internet option and g-mail