Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Gmail and Act 2009

Gmail and Act 2009

Can someone please help?  I'm trying to use Act- 2009 to email mail merge and do not have Outlook, nor do I want to get Outlook, rather I use GMAIL.  From many of the posts I see that it might not work.  I have tried setting up gmail as my internet option under Act's email settings.  However, it does not work.  Other posts have said I must turn SSL off in Gmail, but I can not find this setting in GMail and every other post says don't turn SSL off.  FYI I'm running Vista Home edition on my computer but I don't think that is an issue.  Why did is this so hard Sage??  Help...I'm ready to flush ACT down the drain!!!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Gmail and Act 2009

Hi,

I picked up ACt 2009 on ebay, good price.  Used to be an ACt user in the '90s and it was good up to a point, not too bad.  I expect I'll find this has better added features.  I know it' still not relational but I'll see what's up.

Will it work with gmail?  How hard is it to do?  I have Outlook but have gotten used to gmail and like it. 

My SW came with no Help files, what's up with that?

Please give me a quick overvie w re gmail.  Does it work better with Outlook?  I can switch but do I have to?

Melissa

ACT! 2009 didn't have any integration with gmail

Also, not sure what you mean by "not relational"

It's a flat database like Excel, not relational like Access

OK, so I'll have to go back to Outlook.  What version of ACT works well with gmail, can you tell me?

It's a SQL database ... far more relational capabilities than Access

ACT! 2011 can sync contacts/activities with Google ... but doesn't send emails that way. Outlook is still the best bet

yep. I'll read the manual that came with the software that I'll connect here for questions about things I don't understand. I had no idea it's a SQL database, very good!

I'd still could use Help files, the creeps.
Copper Contributor

hate to tell you this, but the new version (Act 2012) was specifically designed to integrate with Gmail

Sort of... ACT! 2012 can sync contacts and activities (not very well) with Gmail - it can send emails