Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Global Search and Replace

Copper Contributor

Global Search and Replace

[ Edited ]

Can any one tell me if there is an add-on or plug-in for ACT 2010 Premium which would let me place a value in a field where none exists? Also would let me search for a value in a field (Mr..) and remove that value. In both of these things, I do not wish the present value to be disturbed.

I have a about 7000 contact in my database. About 2400 have a value in the ID/Status field. What I wish to do is, place a value in that field, in the records which currently have no value in the ID/Status field.

Similarly, I have about 3000 records where the contact name starts with Mr../Ms.. I would like to remove this value without removing the contact's name.

Is there such an add-on or plug-in for ACT 2010 Premium which has this ability?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Global Search and Replace

[ Edited ]

Harold,
This feature is already in ACT!. Under the Edit menu, you have Copy, Replace, and Swap options. These can be used to place a single value in a single field for a lookup of contacts. Instructions are in this Knowledgebase article:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1520...

This will only populate empty fields or replace whole data strings - it cannot be used to replace only a part of the data in the field.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Silver Super Contributor

Re: Global Search and Replace

Harold,

There is an addon that will let you remove part of a string.  The addon is called Swiss Army Knife 2.  It could probably benefit from more detailed documentation (like virtually all of my addons - it isn't one of mine) but it will let you remove the "Mr." or "Mrs.", etc. from a field while leaving the rest intact.

When you are using a tool like this it is best to make sure that you know exactly what you are doing because "a computer can make the same number of mistakes in 1 second that it takes 40 men 40 years to make".  So backup your production database before you run it on your production database and I would run it on a copy of your production database until you are certain that you know how to do what you want to do.

Here is the link.

http://www.designr1.com/shop/swiss-army-knife-2/

You might also consider working with an ACT! Certified Consultant.  You can find a local consultant at www.act.com/acc

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!