Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Global Search and Replace

Copper Contributor

Global Search and Replace

[ Edited ]

Can any one tell me if there is an add-on or plug-in for ACT 2010 Premium which would let me place a value in a field where none exists? Also would let me search for a value in a field (Mr..) and remove that value. In both of these things, I do not wish the present value to be disturbed.

I have a about 7000 contact in my database. About 2400 have a value in the ID/Status field. What I wish to do is, place a value in that field, in the records which currently have no value in the ID/Status field.

Similarly, I have about 3000 records where the contact name starts with Mr../Ms.. I would like to remove this value without removing the contact's name.

Is there such an add-on or plug-in for ACT 2010 Premium which has this ability?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Global Search and Replace

[ Edited ]

This feature is already in ACT!. Under the Edit menu, you have Copy, Replace, and Swap options. These can be used to place a single value in a single field for a lookup of contacts. Instructions are in this Knowledgebase article:

This will only populate empty fields or replace whole data strings - it cannot be used to replace only a part of the data in the field.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Silver Super Contributor

Re: Global Search and Replace

There is an addon that will let you remove part of a string.  The addon is called Swiss Army Knife 2.  It could probably benefit from more detailed documentation (like virtually all of my addons - it isn't one of mine) but it will let you remove the "Mr." or "Mrs.", etc. from a field while leaving the rest intact.

When you are using a tool like this it is best to make sure that you know exactly what you are doing because "a computer can make the same number of mistakes in 1 second that it takes 40 men 40 years to make".  So backup your production database before you run it on your production database and I would run it on a copy of your production database until you are certain that you know how to do what you want to do.

Here is the link.

You might also consider working with an ACT! Certified Consultant.  You can find a local consultant at

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
Click Here to Purchase Act!