Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Getting set up ID/status vs tags vs fields

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Getting set up ID/status vs tags vs fields

Hello, Brand new to ACT here and am looking forward to finally getting organized. (been using spreadsheets with Outlook - not good)

I've imported about 500 contacts, created a group (made up of about 100 clients) and a subgroup (to identify a special group of clients). All great.

Now i need to import a few hundred more email addresses for a campaign we are sending out, and need ACT to ensure that i'm not sending a campaign to existing clients. (check for duplicates??) I'm getting confused trying to decide if i should use the ID/status field, create a new field for each campaign (parhaps with the campaign date to differentiate), create another group / subgroup or what??? How about Tags???  Seems like this should be a basic setup task, and i want to get it right the first time so that i can effectively track future campaigns. Any advice is very much appreciated!

Dan

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by dlunceford (Moderator)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Getting set up ID/status vs tags vs fields

The ID/Status field has no "special" functionality. It is a standard field with a multi choice drop down.

Yes, the (Edit-Replace Field) feature is used to change a field value for all the records in the "current lookup".

You are on-track with classifications. Using multiple fields can really help to segment and therefore search for records, and of course enable Dymanic Groups.

The import feature (File-Import) can work with the (Tools-Preferences-Duplicate Checking) feature to perhaps match on eMail address.

Regards
Neil Gilford
ACT! Certified Consultant
Gilford Computer Solutions
neil@gilford.com.au

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Elite Contributor

Some considerations.

For Campaigns, using Groups and subgroups is fine.

Using Record History is good for noting when you included a records in a campaign.

I suggest that the ID/Status field be used to classify the record, i.e. Why is this record in my database? Are they a Suspect, Prospect, Client/Customer A, Client B etc. This allows you to select records quickly. Next allocate fields for other classificatons, like what products/services do they use from the list we offer, Industry Classifications etc. ACT! already has fields for Postcode, State etc.

Intelligent use of classifications makes it easy to automatically populate Groups dynamically. Some groups might be Customers, then sub groups for A, B C etc. Groups for Services, those who use Product A or Service B. It depends on your business type and how classifications help you to identify records.

You can also imply classifications. You might search for "If they use Product A but not B" then they are a good candidate for Product C. Then consider Groups for Xmas card, receive newsletter etc.

Regards
Neil Gilford
neil@gilford.com.au

Thanks for the advice Neil. You've helped me to focus on classifications so that I can dynamically create meaningful Groups and Subgroups. I'm going to try to find a way to define a few fields so that all Groups and Subgroups will remain dynamic. Is there any special functionality of the ID/status field?

Is it possible to change a field value for multiple contacts at once? For example, if I wanted to change 100 contacts with ID/status="suspect" to ID/status="prospect"??

Our business is very simple - just marketing spots on a website. 

I'm going to brainstorm here...  In my case, would it be better to use a drop-down list for entries in ID/status. I think I've narrowed it down to 6 different classifications.

1. Adveritser

2. RIP Advertiser (cancelled client)

3. Admin Contacts

4. Stranger (for new email addresses for new email campaigns)

5. Bounced (keep track of email addresses that don't work or Unsubscribed)

6. Suspect (opened an email from a Campaign and clicked through to our website) - thank you for that name Neil :-)

From this, i could further classify Advertisers into Standard, Premium, Freebie etc. Would i be wise to create a user field to do this, such as "Advertiser Status"? So then to Group our Premium Advertisers into a list, I'd create a dynamic Group that would need ID/status="advertiser" and Advertiser Status="Premium"

Am I on track here? This seems to make sense, but ultimately I need to be able to import contacts for an email campaign and have ACT! discard the email addresses that already exist in my database. Thats my next hurdle.

Thank you again for any input!

Dan

Solution
Accepted by dlunceford (Moderator)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

The ID/Status field has no "special" functionality. It is a standard field with a multi choice drop down.

Yes, the (Edit-Replace Field) feature is used to change a field value for all the records in the "current lookup".

You are on-track with classifications. Using multiple fields can really help to segment and therefore search for records, and of course enable Dymanic Groups.

The import feature (File-Import) can work with the (Tools-Preferences-Duplicate Checking) feature to perhaps match on eMail address.

Regards
Neil Gilford
neil@gilford.com.au

Thanks again Neil. Great advice!

trying your suggestion to "Edit - Replace Field" but ID/status doesn't appear as a field that I can replace. There are only a few there. Can it be done?

Thanks again

Copper Elite Contributor

The ID/SDtatus field is a selection in the "Edit-Replace Field" feature. Have you renamed it?
Regards
Neil Gilford
neil@gilford.com.au

Hi Neil, (or anyone who wishes to weigh in here)

I have not renamed the ID Status field. The only options there (Edit - Replace Field) are:

Address 1

Addeess 2

Address 3

City

Country

Group Description

Postcode

Province

Record Manager

This is discouraging. Im really getting frustrated trying to do some tasks that seem like they should be very simple. What if I want to change any other field that is not listed there? Like a User defined field like we discussed earlier in this thread to organize email campaigns using Groups and Subgroups?

Thanks again for your effort.

Dan

Changing ID/Status field for multiple records

Anyone know how (if) this is done. I sure appreciate it.

Thank you!

\Dan

Bronze Contributor

Re: Changing ID/Status field for multiple records

Good evening Dano.  It is really a simple task to change ID/Status in a field replace.  It could be you were trying it with another function. 

So, here's what you do:

1.  Lookup the contacts you want to change. 

2.  Once the group is selected, click on | Edit | Replace Field ...

3.  You should get a dialogue box which gives you all the fields to select and then enter the new value.

When you are doing this for the first few times and you will be changing how records are sorted, you might want to do a backup beforehand. 

Being new to this forum, you will find a lot of basic questions answered here by many of ACT consultants who have aided me time and again.

Hope you find ACT a little easier than Excel and Outlook. 

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013