Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Getting kicked out of fields when typing

Copper Contributor

Getting kicked out of fields when typing

Sage ACT! Pro 2012 Version 14.1.108.0, when trying to create a new contact, we Click in the Company field and barely get the first word typed before the entire screen is unselected and we have to click back into the field to keep typing. 

What is interesting is that as soon as the "New" button is clicked, the cursor shows up, blinking, in the first field and if we wait about 7 seconds, the cursor disappears and any typing is lost in cyberspace somewhere, but it's certainly not in the field the cursor was just in. 

Any clues at the scene of this crime will be much appreciated. I've tried to edit the Tabbing sequence and make modifications to the "Layout," but to no avail.

Thanks,

John Wilson

Re: Getting kicked out of fields when typing

I am having a similar problem and curious to know if you ever resolved this problem.    If yes, how.

Thank you.   Steve Collins

Copper Contributor

Hi Steve,

OK, thought I had a fix that didn't do the job. But, I still believe somehow they're related.

The action I'd hoped would help was to disable the "Marketing Results" TAB as described here:

http://community.act.com/t5/Act/Remove-Marketing-Results-Tab/m-p/54175#M28223

But that didn't solve my problem. I do however believe the issue dissipates once the Connections Pop-up completes it's background action, which I believe promotes the objectives of the Marketing Results TAB.

Once I've discovered or someone jumps into this discussion to help identify the solution, we'll have it. For now, I simply launch ACT! and go get another cup-o-jo while it gets through throwing it's little fit! Saves me from wanting to throw one of my own.

More to come!

Silver Super Contributor

When ACT! is launching there is a delay imposed for starting up different parts of the program.  You can modify the delay in which case it will take ACT! longer to  start up but you won't have the field jumping problem or like you have already discovered you can just launch ACT! and wait a couple of minutes before you start entering data.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

Thanks for the info.    Several months ago I was losing data that I was entering and think I corrected that problem.  I had my database set to synchronize with my google calendar several times a day (as many has 8 times I believe).    By trial and error, I discovered that if I was entering data and the synchronizing started, I would lose the data I was entering or the record I just created.    I did away with all the scheduled synchronizing and the loss of data stopped.

My current problem is a little different.    If I want to do a lookup for a company name for example and  open the lookup/search box, the cursor does not go to the space for me to type the company name like it used to.  I have to click on the space to get the cursor to start blinking so I can type.   It is not a mjaor deal but I sometimes do 100s of lookups a day.         I did discover that if I save any data I have entered into ACT prior to doing a lookup, the problem does not happen (the cursor goes to the box and I can start typing.     So I have two choices:  1.  hit save after I enter any data and prior to doing a lookup;  or, 2.   Always click in the space prior to entering data in the lookup box.         Neither one of these is as simple as it used to be (open lookup and type).       Not sure how to make it work correctly.   If anyone has any ideas, let me know.  Thank you.

Silver Super Contributor

Are you aware that you can right click inside of a field to do a targeted lookup?  That might make it a little simpler for you.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

I was not aware of that. thanks. I tried that and the cursor still does not automatically go to the lookup box unless I have saved the data I just entered. Not a major major issue but also not as simple as it used to be.
Platinum Elite Contributor

I believe that is a mouse driver setting. I've seen the option listed before and I think it was in the mouse driver.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129