Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Getting error "Object Reference not set to an instance of an Object" with Act 16 and Outlook 2013 Professional

Getting error "Object Reference not set to an instance of an Object" with Act 16 and Outlook 2013 Professional

I am trialing Act 16 Pro and having an Outlook issue.

I am getting the error: "Object Reference not set to an Instance of an Object" when I try to send an email from within Act using Outlook. I am running Outlook 2013. It was working just fine last week but now today it doesn't. I have looked through the knowledge base and only found issues with older version of Outlook and the resolutions are no applicable to the 2013 version.

I have found a bunch of things in the knowledge base and also online but no success.  

It was working last week with no problems but now it won't.

One thing I notice is that in Outlook the addin: "ACT! Outlook AddIn" which location says mscoree.dll without a folder name keeps getting disabled automatically in COM Add-ins.   How can I reinstall this for ACT?

I called into support but the india support was worthless as they where just looking in the knowledge base which I already did.

(They really need to employee support people who know ACT and not just script readers).

Thanks,

Shawn

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Getting error "Object Reference not set to an instance of an Object" with Act 16 and Outlook 2013 Professional

This KBase article is still applicable:  http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24350 

especially the section on Clicking Contact Email Address to Create New Email Message.

I would definitely check to see if your DPI settings are set to anything higher than 96DPI (or 100% small on newer versions of windows)

It sounds like either antivirus or security settings could be causing issues as well.

For antivirus, I tend to set exceptions for the following Folders:

%AppData%\Act

%ProgramData%\Act

C:\Program Files(x86)\Act

as well as the directory where your Act! Database is located.

otherwise you could also check the macro settings under outlook (File>Options>Trust Ceter> Trust Center Settings>Macro Settings) and make sure it is set to Notifications for digitally signed macros.

Let us know how you go,

Jared Dalrymple | Technical Consultant | P:+61 7 3423 3551
jared@evolutionmarketing.com.au | Evolution Marketing Services

Re: Getting error "Object Reference not set to an instance of an Object" with Act 16 and Outlook 2013 Professional

Checked everything there and problem still exists.  One thing I notice is that the ACT! Outlook AddIn doesnt always load when I check the Add-Ins.  Also under the publisher for it says <None> for the mscoree.dll file....

Sorry to regurgitate an old post, but I'm getting this issue too.  Using ACT Pro Version 16.3.11.0, Hot Fix 2, Outlook 2013, Win 8.1.

Checked the display reolution - definitely small 100%.  Outlook settings all seem correct.  ACT/Otlook linkage all seems to be working OK.  It only happens when I try to send an email from ACT while Outlook is open.  If Outlook is closed, it seems to work every time.

Anyone have any ideas what else I can try?

Nickel Contributor

This can also occur if redemption.dll has become unregistered. Follow the steps below to re-register redemption.dll.

• Close out of Act! and all Microsoft Office programs
  • On your keyboard, press the Windows key + R 
  • In the Run dialog box, type cmd, then press Enter
  • In the Command Prompt, type the following based on your Operating system and version of Act! and then press Enter:

32-bit
    Act Pro or Act! Premium: cd C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows
    Act! Premium (access via web): cd C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Web

64-bit
    Act! Pro or Act! Premium: cd C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Windows
    Act! Premium (access via web): cd C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Web

• Type regsvr32 redemption.dll and press enter
  • When prompted, click OK, then close out of the Command Prompt

Launch Outlook and Act! and test clicking the contact's email address to test

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply.  I had already tried this - it's in a thread elsewhere - but I did try it again and I still get the same result.  I've also uninstalled and reinstalled ACT but that didn't help either.  I also had an RPC error come up and found a few threads around that but none of those helped.

This is a new install on a new PC.  I'm reall ystuck as to why this is happening.  Any other thoughts are greatly appreciated!

I am getting this error also but on Act  premium for windows - 17.1.169.0 HF1

Clicking on the email Icon I tries to bring up Outlook 2013 (office 32bit)- Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Outlook comes up with a error message.

Application event log has trouble with ACT.OUTLOOK.SERVICE  no windows handle found could not pass args to first intsnce.

Does not matter if Outlook is open or not.

After a wait of 30 seconds object reference error.  This has never worked for me.

[ Edited ]

Well - I'm not quite sure what I did, but I have it all working now....

Steps I went through:

Uninstall ACT 16

Purge the registry of old ACT entries (I used CCleaner to get a list together) - ACT is really, really poor at cleaning up after itself!

Repair Office 2013 from the web (not the quick install, essentially a reinstall)

Set up email etc. again as needed

Reinstall a clean version of ACT 16

Update ACT 16 to the latest version (16.3.11.0, Hot Fix 2)

Seems like the mscoree.dll file was somewhat at fault too.  Using cmd, I changed folder to c:\windows\system32 and registered it regsvr32 mscoree.dll.  Did the same in the sysWOW64 folder just for good measure.

It now worked without the Object reference error, although the email window seems a little slow coming up.  However, now the ACT add-in didn't show up in Outlook.

Go to File>Options> Trust Center> Macro Settings and uncheck "apply macro security settings to installed add ins" and all is good.

Maybe these steps will help others in the future, although why such drastic unload/load measures are needed is beond me. Remeber to reboot often between steps - you never know what is being left behind with this setup.

I have to say that ACT is a somewhat badly behaved application in terms of plug ins to other programs.  I've used it for a few years and on more than one occasion have swore I'd get rid of it.  It all seems a little fragile somehow and not very self healing.

[ Edited ]

Thanks, this helped for ACT! Premium V17.1

I would also suggest right-click and run as Admin for the install and for the Act program.

Also run Outlook before running Act so the add-ins are set-up.  And also running Act once before running any SP1 or Hot fix.

Things seems to be working now for me.

Ron