02-24-2014 05:13 PM
I am trialing Act 16 Pro and having an Outlook issue.
I am getting the error: "Object Reference not set to an Instance of an Object" when I try to send an email from within Act using Outlook. I am running Outlook 2013. It was working just fine last week but now today it doesn't. I have looked through the knowledge base and only found issues with older version of Outlook and the resolutions are no applicable to the 2013 version.
I have found a bunch of things in the knowledge base and also online but no success.
It was working last week with no problems but now it won't.
One thing I notice is that in Outlook the addin: "ACT! Outlook AddIn" which location says mscoree.dll without a folder name keeps getting disabled automatically in COM Add-ins. How can I reinstall this for ACT?
I called into support but the india support was worthless as they where just looking in the knowledge base which I already did.
(They really need to employee support people who know ACT and not just script readers).
02-24-2014 08:47 PM
This KBase article is still applicable: http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24350
especially the section on Clicking Contact Email Address to Create New Email Message.
I would definitely check to see if your DPI settings are set to anything higher than 96DPI (or 100% small on newer versions of windows)
It sounds like either antivirus or security settings could be causing issues as well.
For antivirus, I tend to set exceptions for the following Folders:
as well as the directory where your Act! Database is located.
otherwise you could also check the macro settings under outlook (File>Options>Trust Ceter> Trust Center Settings>Macro Settings) and make sure it is set to Notifications for digitally signed macros.
Let us know how you go,
02-25-2014 08:37 AM
Checked everything there and problem still exists. One thing I notice is that the ACT! Outlook AddIn doesnt always load when I check the Add-Ins. Also under the publisher for it says <None> for the mscoree.dll file....
04-07-2015 02:44 PM
Sorry to regurgitate an old post, but I'm getting this issue too. Using ACT Pro Version 184.108.40.206, Hot Fix 2, Outlook 2013, Win 8.1.
Checked the display reolution - definitely small 100%. Outlook settings all seem correct. ACT/Otlook linkage all seems to be working OK. It only happens when I try to send an email from ACT while Outlook is open. If Outlook is closed, it seems to work every time.
Anyone have any ideas what else I can try?
04-08-2015 08:08 AM
This can also occur if redemption.dll has become unregistered. Follow the steps below to re-register redemption.dll.
04-08-2015 08:44 AM
Thanks for the reply. I had already tried this - it's in a thread elsewhere - but I did try it again and I still get the same result. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled ACT but that didn't help either. I also had an RPC error come up and found a few threads around that but none of those helped.
This is a new install on a new PC. I'm reall ystuck as to why this is happening. Any other thoughts are greatly appreciated!
04-08-2015 11:07 AM
I am getting this error also but on Act premium for windows - 220.127.116.11 HF1
Clicking on the email Icon I tries to bring up Outlook 2013 (office 32bit)- Windows 8.1 64 bit.
Outlook comes up with a error message.
Application event log has trouble with ACT.OUTLOOK.SERVICE no windows handle found could not pass args to first intsnce.
Does not matter if Outlook is open or not.
After a wait of 30 seconds object reference error. This has never worked for me.
04-08-2015 12:24 PM - edited 04-08-2015 12:25 PM
Well - I'm not quite sure what I did, but I have it all working now....
Steps I went through:
Uninstall ACT 16
Purge the registry of old ACT entries (I used CCleaner to get a list together) - ACT is really, really poor at cleaning up after itself!
Repair Office 2013 from the web (not the quick install, essentially a reinstall)
Set up email etc. again as needed
Reinstall a clean version of ACT 16
Update ACT 16 to the latest version (18.104.22.168, Hot Fix 2)
Seems like the mscoree.dll file was somewhat at fault too. Using cmd, I changed folder to c:\windows\system32 and registered it regsvr32 mscoree.dll. Did the same in the sysWOW64 folder just for good measure.
It now worked without the Object reference error, although the email window seems a little slow coming up. However, now the ACT add-in didn't show up in Outlook.
Go to File>Options> Trust Center> Macro Settings and uncheck "apply macro security settings to installed add ins" and all is good.
Maybe these steps will help others in the future, although why such drastic unload/load measures are needed is beond me. Remeber to reboot often between steps - you never know what is being left behind with this setup.
I have to say that ACT is a somewhat badly behaved application in terms of plug ins to other programs. I've used it for a few years and on more than one occasion have swore I'd get rid of it. It all seems a little fragile somehow and not very self healing.
04-08-2015 01:23 PM - edited 04-08-2015 01:24 PM
Thanks, this helped for ACT! Premium V17.1
I would also suggest right-click and run as Admin for the install and for the Act program.
Also run Outlook before running Act so the add-ins are set-up. And also running Act once before running any SP1 or Hot fix.
Things seems to be working now for me.