Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Getting error after I open an ACT 2012 database "The requested performance counter is not a custom counter. It has to be initialized as read-only"

Getting error after I open an ACT 2012 database "The requested performance counter is not a custom counter. It has to be initialized as read-only"

[ Edited ]
Running Act 2012 in Windows 10 Home 

ACT support says to refer to this fix from Microsoft.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/300956/how-to-manually-rebuild-performance-counter-library-...

The problem is when I try to alter the registry keys as per the Microsoft instructions I get the error "Cannot edit Counter. Error writing the value's new contents."

I tried changing permissions on the registry key but I get "Unable to save permission changes on 009. The handle is invalid".

Any ideas?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Getting error after I open an ACT 2012 database "The requested performance counter is not a custom counter. It has to be initialized as read-

The main problem you have is that ACT! 2012 isn't comparable with Windows 10. Mainly Windows 10 does't support the version of MSSQL used with ACT! 2012. You need to upgrad to ACT! 20.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Re: Getting error after I open an ACT 2012 database "The requested performance counter is not a custom counter. It has to be initialized as read-

[ Edited ]

I know its not officially compatible but its been running on Windows 10 for the last year just fine. But just had to reinstall Win10 due to an unrelated problem and once I did that and then reinstalled ACT and restored the database from the backup I am having this issue. No other software has been reinstalled yet except Chrome and all Windows Updates.

Platinum Elite Contributor

If the original Windows install was done as an upgrade the existing MSSQL version would still be available. However when Windows 10 was reinstalled the MSSQL 2008 R2 would no longer be available. Your aolution is to upgrade the ACT! program.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Actually MS SQL Server 2008 R2 is what is installed now. It was installed during the ACT 2012 reinstall.
Administrator

Unfortunately Roy is correct, and it's something that we see quite regularly. When an unsupported version of Act is installed on Windows 10 it will sometimes work just fine - however often all it takes is Windows to update a particular file or permission system and it can stop working entirely.

The supported versions of Act with Windows 10 would be v17.2 onwards.