Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Getting System.Exception: Exception of type 'System.Exception' was thrown. error during Restore As

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Getting System.Exception: Exception of type 'System.Exception' was thrown. error during Restore As

Act! Pro Version 16.3.11.0, HF1

Trying to restore a remote database on a laptop using Restore As function and getting this error message. Can't find much info in the community.

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

ACTRestore Error.JPG

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author wongper
‎05-15-2018 07:53 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Getting System.Exception: Exception of type 'System.Exception' was thrown. error during Restore As

I think there was a problem with the first backup, did a new backup and it worked.

Thanks

Perry

View solution in original post

All Replies
Administrator

Re: Getting System.Exception: Exception of type 'System.Exception' was thrown. error during Restore As

Which version of windows are you using?

Also - are there any special characters (like & * " # etc.) in the name of the backup file?

I'd also recommend making sure you have full access permissions to the file - try opening it without Act!, a database backup file is just a zip file - just make sure you're able to open it.

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks Jon, it is Windows 10, there are no special characters in the file name and I can open the zip file and see the contents.

When restoring a database, it asked for a user name and password, does this user name and password need to be the same as the user and password used to sign on to the main database and did the backup?

Thanks

Perry

Administrator

I'd recommend it to be the administrator of the database originally, but it doesn't need to be the exact same user.

I wouldn't expect this to be a user/password issue as the error message indicates that something has failed unexpectedly. If you can open the zip file, you can try doing a restore of the database from the Act!Diag tool.

Check out this KB for steps:
http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36674
Copper Contributor

Thanks Jon, will give that a try

Solution
Accepted by topic author wongper
‎05-15-2018 07:53 AM
Copper Contributor

I think there was a problem with the first backup, did a new backup and it worked.

Thanks

Perry