Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Getting More information out of History.

Getting More information out of History.

Okay so I have 2007 V9 and am building my my contact list which is very time consuming. Imagine a contact list full of clients. Also there are professional contacts I have who are used in a variety of transactions with these clients. One professional contact may be involved with transactions for many clients. Finally imagine a transaction. A transaction will include clients, and some of the these professional contacts. So my dilema is how to organize this effectively.

One important thing about a transaction is that it needs to have all of the emails associated with it in that history regardless if they were to/from a client to/from me, or to/from one of the professional contacts to/from me or to/from the client. Basically any communication to/from anyone needs to be attached to the transaction.

So my first idea was to create a contact that would essentially be a transaction. Then I went into my outlook and attached all existing emails to/from clients, and other professionals to that trasaction contact. Any contacts to/from the contact that was not related to the transaction would be attached to the client. This seems kind of hokey but workable.

My big beef is that when I look at the history for the contact that is the transaction, everything is there but there is no way to tell anything about the email (except the subject line) without going into the email. What would be super useful would be to be able to see the original sender of the email. I take it that this will be impossible. Anyone have any ideas?

When I creat the transaction contact I do assign the clients involved and other professional contacts involved as secondary contacts. I was hoping any emails from these secondary contacts would be identified somehow in a unique manner but I was wrong.

So one thing I have not explored yet is that when I look at the history I see that on there is a group/company field that is blank for the emails that have been added to the history but I am not sure how I can use that field to help me associate the original sender of each email that happens to be in the history of a contact.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Getting More information out of History.

You should consider using the Groups for your transactions.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks for the advice. Please expand a little bit more. Right now I have the following groups defined, Buyers - Contains all clients who are purchasers; Sellers - Contains all clients who are sellers; Professionals - Contains all contacts who are 3rd party vendors who I use in various transactions. So I guess I am puzzled about your comment. Assume a transaction contains at least 1 buyer or seller, and then several of the contacts from professionals. Now assume I send and receive emails from the client, also I send and receive emails from several contacts in the professionals group. Now if all of these emails have to be associated with the transaction, how does your suggestion help me to be able to know who sent what email when I view the transaction contact?

It appears to me that the only way to reach a solution would for me to actually create a new COMPANY for each transaction. That company name would actually be the transaction. Then the contacts in the company would be the client in the transaction as well as the professionals used. Thus I would then have a database full of different companies where each company is a transaction. That seems lame to me but at least every email would then simply be in the history of the contact that is in that particular transaction. However even this is not full proof... Or shall I say foolproof...

The bottom line is that it would be much more efficient if emails that were accumulated in the history of any contact had the sender and the recipient identified in the summary view just like it is seen in Outlook.

Am I missing something?

Platinum Elite Contributor

It appears that you are trying to make things more complicated than they need to be. If I understand what you want to do correct, the groups are the way to go. Contact can be members of more than one group, opportunities, history, notes and activities can be attached to groups and you can easily create a lookup of a group. The fact that you have some general groups defined already does not stop you from using the groups for tracking your transactions.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129