Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Getting Database cannot be accessed message as if I have a network connection - I don't

Getting Database cannot be accessed message as if I have a network connection - I don't

I am using Version 2007 Act 9.0.  It has been over a month since I last used this version of Act - believe it or not, I have the info I need in Act 2.0 and bought 9.0 only because I wanted to be able to send my contacts out in an Excel list.  Something must have changed in my 9.0 settings because I can no longer access my databases.  I have 1 PC, no network, work from home, I am the only user. I used to be able to go to "Open Database" and get to my records.  Now when I do this, I get this error message: "Database NAME could not be accessed.  In order to access this database, check your netowrk connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server". Excuse me, but Huh? This is a weird problem so I can't find it in Help - anybody help me? Any and all advice appreciated!  Thanks in advance, Tom

Re: Getting Database cannot be accessed message as if I have a network connection - I don't

Check to see if the SQL service is started.

- Close ACT!

- Go to Start and select Run.

- Type in services.msc and click Ok.

- Find SQL Server (ACT7) and start the service.

Re: Getting Database cannot be accessed message as if I have a network connection - I don't

Thanks for the tip, unfotunately it didn't work.  I went in and found SQL Server (Act7) and it was already started.  I selected "restart" and it stopped, then started it again.  I went back to Act to open a database and got the same error message.  I just went back through Run and looked for an SQL Server that had Act9 in the title, but this was the only one.

Are you able to open or create another database?

Yes, I just tried it, I was able to create a new database and re-open it.  Unlike with the other databases, this one did not ask me for a password to open it.  I did not set up the other DBs with a password, so I wonder why this is happening.....I suppose I could try a password retrieival to see if there is one, but again, I am the only user and I don't need a password.  Also, the "test" database is in black print, the others in blue.  Does this have any significance?

The files in blue are compressed and can cause the issue.  To decompress the files, right-click each compressed file that is found (indicated in blue), click Properties, click Advanced, and then uncheck Compress contents to save disk space.

Tried it, unchecked it, still won't open, same error message.  Does the password idea have any merit?

Would you know where my databases are stored?  I have been assuming they are on my PC - is it possible they are on a Sage server?  I would much rather have them stored here locally if that is an option.  This error message is leading me to believe it thinks they are on a server somewhere.

The SQL service to START corrected the problem, but the problem it's happening daily. What is to be done to get it corrected long term?

I am running Act 2009 and Microsoft Update is trying to install SQL SP3 (and failing) every night which renders ACT useless. I have auto updates turned off until for now so I don't have to fight ACT/SQL every morning until I hear that SP3 works with ACT 2009.