Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Getting Act! to work after Windows 8 upgrade

Getting Act! to work after Windows 8 upgrade

Hi,

I recently upgraded from XP to Windows 8 and am having some trouble getting my database to load in Act! Pro V. 7. The Open/Share database screen does not list my database. When I then click on "the database I want is not listed", I am presented with the Act Data/Databases folder, which does, indeed have my database listed.

Then, after I click on it, I get this message:

The "." computer could not be reached because the IP address "" could not be resolved. Verifying the "." computer is available on the network, that it has the correct IP address, and that Microsoft SQL server is properly installed may resolve this issue.

Help!

Re: Getting Act! to work after Windows 8 upgrade

[ Edited ]

Update:

Here's what I do know:

My database seems to be in Documents/Act/Act Data/Databases

Interestingly, however, there are TWO folders with the same path immediately above that contain my database

Bronze Super Contributor

Try this:

1. Go to your Documents/Act/Act Data/Databases folder
  2. Find your Act! database name's .adf file and open Act! with that.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 

[ Edited ]

No luck =( The computer doesn't do anything after I click. I tried this on both databases (there are two identical database files in two separate folders, both named documents/Act). One documents/Act folder seems to have been modified approximately 20 minutes after the last while I was still using XP.

I noticed that there is also a /Microsoft SQL Server folder in a director that is called /windows.old/Program Files

Within that folder, there is another folder called MSSQL10_50.ACT7

I wonder if Act! is having trouble communicating between the Windows.old folder and the database and program which are both stored outside of that directory?

Until recently, I had never even heard of an SQL server so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks