Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

General question Act installation

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

General question Act installation

Our IT people have a general question about installing Act. They want to install Act on a PC  with C: and E: partition where the operating system resides on C: and Act will be installed on E: whereby it is NOT necessary for Act to write anything to the C: drive.

Highlighted
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: General question Act installation

Hi,

You can install Act! on another drive but you must use the "Custom" installation method. Using this option lets you change the install directory.

If not needing SQL on the machine as you are going to connnect to the database on the server you can untick to install it.

This may help KB38867

Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor

Yes ACT! can be installed on a drive other than the C: drive. However your question sounds like you want to exclude ACT! from using the C: drive at all. I don't believe that can be done. There are internal functions that use the C: drive. For example the ACT! backup assembles the backup file in a special temp file on the C: drive.
Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
Highlighted
Employee

Hello

I would recommend looking at the below link
http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38867/

Yes you can install it in the custom location by using the custom install.
Highlighted
Silver Contributor

Just in case it is all getting too complicated this is what IT maybe are simply looking to do.

Install ACT on C drive and Databases on another partition so data is only written to and from the partition drive.

This is a fairly normal ACT installation, Install ACT with default options on the server or PC and the create your database on the partition drive.

Worth checking to see if this is in fact what they are wanting to do.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Thanks for all the advice.

We have a related questions which concerns the paths to the LNK files (and outlook messages) . They all point to the current location of the messages and LNK files on a local drive with even the PC name in the path.

If we install Act on a different drive on a different machine and we restore the current database on the new drive how do we update the location of the LNK and message files?

Highlighted
Administrator

A LNK file is simply a link to a file - it won't be updated.

If you want attachments to move when the database does, you can attach files directly to the database which puts a copy of that file into the database attachments folder.

If the new database location still has network access to the location of the files, and the files are still in the same place, then you should still be able to access them via the existing LNK file.

Attached message files should be attached to the database in the attachments folder, and so should transfer with the database when you backup/restore (assuming you choose "include attachments" during the backup).
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

The problem is that the location of the LNK files is currently on a local PC and we would like to get rid of this situation. When I look in ACT under the documents tab I see full paths: <computer name>\databasefiles\attachments\xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.LNK for instance. This means, I believe, that when we install Act on a server we must keep access to this PC open in order to be able to open documents via the designated LNK file.

The documents themselves are stored on a network drive on our server but we still need the local LNK file to make a connection.

The path to the LNK file is stored in the Act database I assume but is there a way to update this 'path' field?

Highlighted
Administrator

If the link file points to the network location, if you back-up the database including attachments and then restore it in the new location - these link files will transfer over to the new machine, and will still point to the network location.

The only time this would be a problem is if the LNK file is pointing to a file on that actual machine, in which case when you get rid of that machine the link will now be invalid.

It sounds like in your case, simply backing up with attachments and restoring the database on the new PC should be all that's needed!
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Thank you but this does not answer my question.

The LNK files are indeed pointing to documents on a network location but Act points to a local machine to connect to the LNK file itself. (see attached png file) The problem is that when we restore a database in act that has been installed on a network drive the paths to the LNK files are all wrong.