Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

General Setup and Layout Question

General Setup and Layout Question

I am setting up ACT! to use for my real estate business and wondered if anybody could provide me with a little guidance on how I should initially set up my database.  I like to know property information, as well as the owner/contacts information so the way I planned on setting up my database was have a different contact for every property, so if a person owned multiple properties, they would be in the database multiple times (once for each property). I planned on using custom fields for all the property information (year built, square footage, etc.)

Is there a better way to do this? Perhaps only have the one contact and somehow have them be associated with whichever properties they own?  I appreciate any feedback.

Bronze Contributor

Re: General Setup and Layout Question

Hi bemri.

This kind of question comes up frequently -- how to relate one person to other people or companies.

For each property, you might consider creating a contact with the property name for the company name and "Company.Name UI" for the contact, where UI stands for Useful Information. 

See if tht helps.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013

Thank you for responding as I am at a bit of a stand still. I'm trying to figure this out before I import my data, just in case. However, I didnt follow your suggestion. Would you mind providing me with more detail as to what you are referring to, perhaps an example? Is UI something in ACT!? Much appreciated.

Copper Elite Contributor

You might wish to look at TopLine Designer, which allows you to add sub-entities to Act! (among other things).  I believe that there are industry templates with that product which may be applicable to you.

I have been working with the Trial for this product and it seems to do a really nice job of enabling add-on functionality to Act! in the form of sub-entities for Contacts and Companies.

http://www.toplineresults.com/addons/topline-designer.aspx

Mark

Mark Rogers
Act! v16 HF5, Office 365 SBP