Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Frustrating glitches in ACT

Frustrating glitches in ACT

Hello, 

I have a large number of custom fields and a custom layout in ACT.  My database files are located in the main office computer and I share it to one other computer... Both log in under the same user name.  I am experiencing some anomolies and would like to find out what is causing them:

1. Right after opening ACT, and while typing in a field, the program will sort of "flash" and the cursor will leave the field and dis-appear.  This comes and goes, but can be very frustrating that you have to re-click in the field multiple times to type a couple words.  It looks as if another program is becomming active instead of ACT, then you have to re-select the field

2. In date fields the date seems to change randomly every now and then as soon as you leave the field...

3. I have discovered a couple of times that the same info is not displayed on both computers even though they should be on the same database... Again this is intermittent, but if I pick a certain field on a certain contact and change the info, it may not show up on the shared computer until I actually re-start the program.  Sometimes it does... Sometimes it doesn't

I am using ACT 2009 (11.0) and Windows 7

Your help is greatly appreciated

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Frustrating glitches in ACT

For your (3)

I know that in a sync scenario, you have to press F5 (Refresh) before the data will be updated as it gets cached locally.

Mark Rogers
Act! v16 HF5, Office 365 SBP

I don't think this would be considered a sync, I only have 1 database and it is shared, thanks

Copper Elite Contributor

Yes, I understand. But the data would still be cached locally, so you might not see updates instantaneously.

Mark Rogers
Act! v16 HF5, Office 365 SBP
Copper Contributor

do you have any addons installed... like smartnotes?

Bronze Elite Contributor

#1: Strangely this is working as designed. After ACT! opens it carries out approx 5 screens refreshes. If it is really getting in the way it might be best to start ACT! up and log in then let it sit for ~1min.

#2: This is more worrying. Try and ensure that you have turned off Graphics Hardware Acceleration also carryout dB maintenance Tools->Database Maintenance->Check and Repair. Hopefully these should resolve the issue.

#3: As others have said. Another thing you could do is carryout a Lookup->All Contacts and then Lookup->Previous-><your original lookup> that shoudl resolve the screen refresh and push the dB commit out to you.

Vivek Gargav
Caldere Associates Ltd.
www.caldere.com
vgargav@caldere.com
My Blog

No, addons that I am aware of...  we really just use the program for a customer database, it doesn't link to any other programs.  We just update information everyday and print reports.

Thanks

Vivek, thanks for the info,

#1:  it seems like the screen refreshes can occur at random times even after the program has been open for a while, it's just more often when first starting.  Is that normal as well?

#2: Is Graphics Hardware Acceleration in ACT, or on the PC? how could I check that?

Thanks again for your time!

Bronze Elite Contributor

Hi,

Sorry I should have been a little more detailed! Graphics Acceleration is a Windows Display feature. From Control Panel go to Display Properties and the Troubleshoot tab. In there you can reduce Acceleration to zero.

Vivek Gargav
Caldere Associates Ltd.
www.caldere.com
vgargav@caldere.com
My Blog