Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Front End Data Entry for ACT!

Tuned Listener

Front End Data Entry for ACT!

We have lots of Sales Reps that don' t have access to our ACT! database but provide data that ultimately ends up in ACT!  I am wondering if the ACT! architecture allows for front end forms to be developed, that could reside on a desktop with a link, or web based forms or even Sharepoint where some limited data entry could be done through the front end and the data is transferred into the appropriate fields in ACT!  Developing the front end wouldn't be a terribly difficult challenge, just don't know what the ACT! limitations are.

As an example, let's say we want a form where the Sales Rep could log into "something", use a drop down or search to look up a contact (their Customer) then fill in some fields on that form, hit submit and then ideally, not only would the data be input into ACT! but an email alerting people of our choice would go out letting us know the data had been submitted.  I guess we could use the front end tool to send the email alert if we had to.

If the price weren't too hefty, I wouldn't have an issue paying a developer to put something like this together.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Front End Data Entry for ACT!

This is achievable with our Web 2.0 API for ACT!   You don't need Sharepoint. Using the api any developer knowing

XML and HTTP Web requests can build what you want.  

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Platinum Elite Contributor

Graeme, just wondering ... do you know if this would be allowed under the EULA? Specifically 2 (J):
(j) invoke any part of the Software (including any copy thereof), through use of any program that Sage has not licensed to you, to enable access to the database that the Software manages by more users than the number of named users for which you have a license from Sage;

As I read that, hoosier_act would also need to have a license of ACT! for each sales rep
Bronze Elite Contributor

Mike,

As per the statement in the post, refer Web 2.0 API for ACT! and based on advice received by Xact Software in December 2010

"Application has been made with Sage ACT! to provide a Sage ACT!  SKU to cover license requirements for the end user , we are expecting release of an SKU soon."

Graeme Leo

Interesting ... depending on how they word license, it might hurt them - in that people could do their own custom clients.

Here's a thought ... someone could to a Mac desktop app :-)
Bronze Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

[Edit: Content removed. Please post courteously.]

Just like Sage's own SData concept available in their other CRM products, our XData product achieves the same objectives for ACT! ; less reliance on primitive synchronization methods, live data for B2B applications and remote user access. If Sage don't lessen their reliance on old sync concepts of moving data around then they will quickly lose customers to web based competitors. 

Clearly Sage ACT! wouldn't issue license if it wasn't in their interest as a commercial proposition. How the license would apply was discussed and is practical.  

Graeme Leo

Not complaining... just wondering how the license will be worded. Eg will it allow a Mac app from a third party? If so, will users of that need to pay Sage a fee?

I agree that it opens possibilities ... but, in similar licensing from big databases, the licence either per user or per CPU for big web apps
Tuned Listener

Graeme, that sounds interesting.  I checked out your website, the information was sparse though.  No toll free number I could find, no online chat.  Did I miss something?  Depending on what you offer, the pricing, etc., I could possibly be interested in your ACT! hosting services.  We use another company at present and to put it bluntly, they suck.

I'll be perfectly honest with you.  This is for our business which means it can be rather critical to our operation.  In general, I don't tend to buy critical items from organizations I cannot easily contact and get support from.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Xact Software supports clients in Australia/NZ, NA and UK. With our development products as opposed to end user products  we mainly work with developers. You can email me directly as per the email address in my signature. The rules that apply to this forum prohibit publication of contact details directly in the main body of the message.

Graeme Leo

Tuned Listener

Sounds like I need to contact a developer using your product then.  Any recommendations?