Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Found problems with ACT! 2009 import/export wizard

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Found problems with ACT! 2009 import/export wizard

I found problems with ACT! 2009 import/export wizard. When trying to convert a customized ACT! 6.0 database then export the converted database to a newly install/customized database created in ACT! 2006.  I was not able locate a lot of the customized fields in the new database. Some of the customized fields are there but not all. It appears to be a problem with converting data from the spillover tables. Will there be a fix for this? I had to uninstall ACT! 2009 and install ACT! 2008 to properly convert and import data. This process is a waste of time for me and our clients.

On a positive note: ACT! 2009 is pretty slick. The email integration has been improved. Act for Web is working great - very happy about this!

Thanks for your time,

WD

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author iwendlei
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Found problems with ACT! 2009 import/export wizard

The issue is 2009 specific and has been documented in the following KB.

Fields Missing When Attempting To Map During Import

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

How/why are you bringing the data into 2009 to send it to 2006?

Where (in what dialogue) where you unable to locate the fields?

How many fields in the 6.0 database?

Solution
Accepted by topic author iwendlei
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

The issue is 2009 specific and has been documented in the following KB.

Fields Missing When Attempting To Map During Import

Thanks for that... I should have a look for new kb articles. Pretty much all the articles I post I know they are there before I look.

Is there a way to look up new and/or updated articles in the KB?

I don't believe there is a way besides searching for Updated or New.  Let me reach out to the knowledge base team to see if there's an easy way to search new/updated KBs. 

With the old itdomiino KB, this was easy... and a great way for ACT! admins and support people to update their knowledge before running into issues as well as potential upgrade users checking to make sure a new version isn't more problems than the old :-)

If not possible now, would appreciate it if you could request it for the next KB that they are working on.

Copper Contributor

The customized database Act4Advisors was created in ACT! 2006. This database is installed on the client computer. The client then opens the database to update it to ACT! 2009. The Act4Advisors database in dbase has over 400 fields.. Anyway, I see the work around below and that is way too much work.

Thanks for the instructions.

The workaround using the KB 23145 (which means getting actdiag out) is not practical for me and this is a big issue as we import data numerous times a day. Can I restructure the database to stop custom fields spilling into new tables? (even if it means removing, adjusting some). Or is there a fix on its way from ACT to resolve this?

Thanks in advance for any help

mikeoaten wrote:

The workaround using the KB 23145 (which means getting actdiag out) is not practical for me and this is a big issue as we import data numerous times a day. Can I restructure the database to stop custom fields spilling into new tables? (even if it means removing, adjusting some). Or is there a fix on its way from ACT to resolve this?

Thanks in advance for any help

I don't think ACT! can stop the spillover as it's a SQL limit....it will happen based on the order the fields were added to the database.

I assume they are working on making the map work with those fields, but maybe it's a complex task that will take time.

In the meantime, you might look at using itImport to work past this issue.

Mike, Thanks for the reply. Can I delete fields and rebuild (we have many obsolete fields that are due for removal) so that all the fields I need are within the SQL limit and therefore can avoid the problems?

Thanks again,

Mike