Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

First time sync

First time sync

I use a Palm m515 that has a lot of my contact in it. I use to use ACT 6.0 and ACT for palm and sync all the time, but no longer have 6.0 and just use my palm. I have installed ACT 8.0 and ACT for Palm to sync them. In reading, it say that I have to do a Desktop override first, will I loose my info on my palm. What I want to do is import my data from my palm to the desktop so I do not have to enter all the info. Any suggestions. Steve

Re: First time sync

Beware of syncing with the new version of Act! The developers have made poor decisions regarding this. You will loose everything in the Palm database on your device and will only have that which is in the database on your PC. Another consideration is that the ActLink for Palm will only allow changes to be made on the PC and will overwrite any changes made on the Palm. This is a gripe that was existent from version 7 forward. Quite frankly, if not for the trouble to determine the activities and contacts that I added after upgrading and enter them manually into version 6, I would have returned Act 2008 (version 10) and stuck with version 6. Version 6 is quick, stable and allows synchronizing as opposed to overwriting. BEWARE and don't be fooled like I was!

After the first sync, will it allow me to sync both ways or is the PC always going to overright the Palm.

My experience was that any changes to contact records on the Palm were not included and the data on the PC overwrote it each time. For the calendar, it was a bit different in that it would accept some entries but it always locked them on the PC so if I wanted to edit them or apply them to a contact, there was no way to do this and calendar entries I entered on the Palm were always assigned to the "my record" and were unable to be changed an applied to the correct contact. CompanionLink does let me sync both ways and there is even a way to associate a calendar entry with a contact when entered on the Palm. It's a bit cumbersome, but it does work! Since I always seem to enter new contacts when I meet them, they are on my Palm first so this program works for the need and is cheaper than any other option I know of. If you go to the Act home page and search for add-ons, you can find a link that will get you a $5.00 discount on the program. I'm actually in process of reverting back to version 6 but it's a time killer and a real pain. Once done, I'm getting my money back. There just isn't enough (or any for that matter) benefit over v6 for me...
Nickel Super Contributor

After the initial sync, the ACT conduits automatically revert to a two way sync, allowing you to add data to the palm and sync it to your ACT database.
Platinum Elite Contributor

GolferWPA wrote:
I use a Palm m515 that has a lot of my contact in it. I use to use ACT 6.0 and ACT for palm and sync all the time, but no longer have 6.0 and just use my palm. I have installed ACT 8.0 and ACT for Palm to sync them. In reading, it say that I have to do a Desktop override first, will I loose my info on my palm. What I want to do is import my data from my palm to the desktop so I do not have to enter all the info. Any suggestions. Steve

Maybe sync the Palm to the Palm Desktop then ACT! 8.0 can import from there - see http://tinyurl.com/2fu2ak and http://tinyurl.com/2xlolb