Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Find a Note or History by Keyword

Find a Note or History by Keyword

A Keyword search in Act! 7 (2005) will identify a contact that has the keyword in a note, activity, opportunity, history or field. However, how does one find the particular entry (say a particular note that contains the keyword)? The Contact my have hundreds of notes, activities, opportunities and histories. How can the relevant item be located?

Thank you in advance,

/s/ Alan Auerbach

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Find a Note or History by Keyword

Alan -

I'm not in front of a machine with v2005, but in v11 (2009), there is an option under Lookup called Keyword search, which provides checkboxes for all the different areas in which to search - Activities, History, Notes, etc.

Sorry if this is not in '05, but I thought I'd share it...

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com

Dear Richard,

Thank you for the swift response!

The same check-boxes appear in v.7. However, that tells the search function where to look. If it finds, say, "Brust" in a note in a Contact record, it will display the name of that Contact. However, it will not direct you to the note, history, etc. where that reference is found. So, you might know that "Brust" is somewhere in Sylvia Smith's records, but not where. It may be in one of 200 notes and finding which note is near impossible--unless there is a function that I am missing.Smiley Happy

/s/ Alan

Nickel Elite Contributor

Sorry, again I haven't messed around with that version.  However, if it makes a difference, in v11 it *does* bring up the actual note/history/etc :-)

Actually, what it does in case you want to know is in the search "pop-up" window, when you search for a phrase, in the bottom half of that window it will bring up all the items with that phrase.  e.g. I just searched my db for "OLEDB", and the search returned a History item from one contact, and a note from another.  Clicking on the item, you are directly sent to that particular item in the record of the contact.

Furthermore, the Lookup window stays open, yet minimized, so you can go back to it if you need to look at more items...

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com

Dear Richard,

Thanks again!

That is exactly what I am looking for. Regrettably, in v.7 in that bottom half, all that is listed are Contact Names--repeated for each time the reference is found--but no specific items. I must conclude that Sage realized this failing and corrected it later. Too bad for me. Smiley Sad

/s/ Alan

Tuned Listener

Helpful. I will try this with my keyword search test.