Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Files associated with act!?

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Files associated with act!?

Hi

I'm new to ACT! by Sage (2009), and I'm looking for an explanation of the file types.

I got a old database as a .RDB file, browsing the web i found out that that was standing for Remote Data Base. Can I use this file as base for a new database? Is a RDB file the same as a saved database?

But then in the folder with my database i find:

A .PAD file and I read that it's pointing to the database so you can distribute a shortcut to the PAD file, don't understan how that makes sense, can't you distribute the PAD file or make a shortcut to the database itself?

ADF file (biggest... the database??)

ALF file

And a folder with more files in.

I just started looking at this software so all help is appreciated.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author asedt
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Files associated with act!?

Correct,  RDB is a file extension used by ACT! for remote databases.  When restoring the RDB file, it will create an ADF, ALF, PAD, and database files folder.  Then you will open the PAD file to access the database.  The PAD file points to the ADF (sort of like a shortcut).  This file can be copied anywhere on the machine and when sharing a database, other users will access the PAD file.  The remote database can be the same as the main database, if when creating the remote criteria was set to include all contacts.  A remote database is defined by its sync set.  A sync set is used to define which contacts this remote user will be able to access.

ADF = Database

ALF = Log

PAD = Points to ADF

Database Files folder = Stores attachments, templates, reports associated with the database.

How to Back Up and Restore an ACT! Database

How to Share an ACT! by Sage Database over a Network

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author asedt
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Files associated with act!?

Correct,  RDB is a file extension used by ACT! for remote databases.  When restoring the RDB file, it will create an ADF, ALF, PAD, and database files folder.  Then you will open the PAD file to access the database.  The PAD file points to the ADF (sort of like a shortcut).  This file can be copied anywhere on the machine and when sharing a database, other users will access the PAD file.  The remote database can be the same as the main database, if when creating the remote criteria was set to include all contacts.  A remote database is defined by its sync set.  A sync set is used to define which contacts this remote user will be able to access.

ADF = Database

ALF = Log

PAD = Points to ADF

Database Files folder = Stores attachments, templates, reports associated with the database.

How to Back Up and Restore an ACT! Database

How to Share an ACT! by Sage Database over a Network

Hope this helps.