Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Fields disappeared after moving them

Fields disappeared after moving them

I am using Act 2006. I needed to move some fields in Design layout from one tab to a different one and cut and pasted them in as it says in the help section to do. I saved it, then closed design layout and now the fields do not appear in Act. The name of the field is there, but the fields are not. I opened Design Layout again and the fields appear there, but not in act. Has anyone had this problem? Need to find a solution quickly for this.
Copper Contributor

Re: Fields disappeared after moving them

Have you tried deleting the fields in the layout designer, then re-adding them?

Also, if you are so inclined you can open the layout file using Notepad and review the settings in XML format.  Compare yours with the format of the default layouts stored at:
C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows 10\Databases\MyDBname-database files\Layouts

For example, the following <object> pair defines the label and picklist control for "Salutation" on the Basic Contact Layout 1024x768:
      <Object type="Act.UI.Designer.Controls.Label, Act.UI.Designer.Controls" name="label5">
        <Property name="TabIndex">12</Property>
        <Property name="TextAlign">MiddleLeft</Property>
        <Property name="Size">80, 16</Property>
        <Property name="Text">Salutation</Property>
        <Property name="Font">Tahoma, 8pt, style=Bold</Property>
        <Property name="Location">8, 66</Property>
      </Object>
      <Object type="Act.UI.PickList.NuPicklistControl, Act.UI.PickList" name="pickListControl6">
        <Property name="InputKeys" />
        <Property name="Size">176, 21</Property>
        <Property name="DownArrowDoesDropDown">True</Property>
        <Property name="TextAlign">Left</Property>
        <Property name="BorderStyle">Fixed3D</Property>
        <Property name="DisplayHyperlink">True</Property>
        <Property name="HookupCurrencyManagerEvents">True</Property>
        <Property name="ForceWriteable">False</Property>
        <Property name="BackColor">Window</Property>
        <Property name="Location">680, 88</Property>
        <Property name="ContactFieldDescriptor">
          <Binary>VEJMX0NPTlRBQ1QuQ0FURUdPUlk=</Binary>
        </Property>
        <Property name="TabIndex">19</Property>
        <Property name="AutoSize">True</Property>
      </Object>
Specifically I wonder if you've lost the <Property name='ContactFieldDescriptor">... section?

Again, it would be easier to use the ACT! Layout Designer to try and re-add the controls, however, if that doesn't work or if you want to get your hands dirty you can try opening the layout file manually using Notepad.

NOTE: Make a copy of your layout file before modifying it manually!!!

HTH,
jason

Jason Sellers
ACT! Engineer 2000-2007

Jason, I checked the layout in notepad as you described just to see and didn't find the "ContactFieldDescriptor" as you suspected. I then opened Act and went to design layout where I then saw that in the select a field menu, those fields were waiting to be added. I had thought about deleting the fields but was hesitant to do so as I was unsure if I would have lost it completely. Thanks for the help and the prompt reply.
Nickel Super Contributor

If you cut and paste fields on a lyout they will become unassigned.  In the layout desigen press f4 to open the properties window.  Click on each field and in the properties window about halfway down you will see field value - if you click the drop down you can pick the field you would like the field on the layout the be assigned to.

Tom