Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Fields Not Showing

Re: Fields Not Showing

Thanks Mark,

If it were as easy as recalling that folder and the cly file, why wouldn't this custom layout show up in my database layout folder?  I see the other layouts, just not a custom layout.  When we copied all the data over from the old server, wouldn't it have been copied over with the other files?  Again, I am seeing the fields in the "Define Fields" table.  Also, when I bring up the "Design Layout Toolbox, I don't see those fields as a selection.

Thanks!

Copper Elite Contributor

If you see the fields in Design mode, but don't see them when you are designing the layout, that is suggesting that they are already on your layout somewhere.

Mark Rogers
Act! v20 Update 7, Office 365 SBP
Bronze Super Contributor

Being that there is so much confusion about what the layout is or isn't doing and what is or isn't visible where...

I would suggest just creating a new layout file and getting back to some real work.

Thanks guys for answering all these questions... I know how to design a new layout, but how can I be sure that the fields in the new layout will show the data for those fields that is already present in the database?  Is there a way to go in and re-link that data to the new fields?  And when I redesign the layout, do I simply go into "Tools", then "Design Layouts" and "Contsct", and get after it?  I want to make sure that after all the effort to design the layout again is not wasted.  Thanks again!

Copper Elite Contributor

Layouts are simply structures for the presentation of your underlying data.  No need to relink anything.

Mark Rogers
Bronze Super Contributor

If you fields are in fact in the database as you describe, and if there is not some bizarre thing going on with the database that has not been uncovered, creating a new layout should not be a problem.

For that matter, if you have the old custom layout and you open it in the layout designer, you should see the custom fields still there, it's just that  they are no defined as to what data they should display - it is as if they are empty containers.

If it is easier to update the existing layout than creating a new one, open the current one that is "broken", save it to a new name just to be safe, open the properties tool bar in the designer (from the View menu select Properties Window).

Click the first field that you need to "link".  In the properties strip on the right, in the Date | Field Value property, select the correct field.

Repeat for the remaining custom fields.

Save the layout when done.

You should now have a correctly functioning layout with your custom data.

Thanks to all of you!  I put together the puzzle and have recovered the fields.  How can I make sure that this layout is indeed saved?  I wouldn't mind storing this layout in case we ever run into this problem again.  Again, thanks for your support!

Copper Elite Contributor

If you took Scott's suggestion and renamed the layout after making the changes, you should see it and the original (and a few others) in the Layouts drop-down menu on your Contacts screen.

The physical layout file can be found in the Layouts directory for your database.

Mark Rogers