Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Fields Not Showing

Fields Not Showing

Not all fields are showing in the contact view even though the fields show up in "Define Fields."  This came about after installing a new server (old one crashed).  Everything else is fine.  How can I bring these fields back out?

Silver Contributor

Re: Fields Not Showing

Most likely you are on the wrong layout. 

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Thanks for your answer, but changing layout didn't make the fields show up in the contact view as they did before.  I did check to see if the install on that PC needed an update, but there were none available.  And as I stated, these (lost fields) are showing up under "Define Fields".  Any other ideas?  Your help is appreciated!

Copper Elite Contributor

What do you see in the phone number text boxes on your Contact layout?  Can you see the phone numbers on the Personal Info tab?

Mark Rogers
Act! v16 HF5, Office 365 SBP

We see the phone number information as it should be... we are seeing all the original fields created by ACT!, but cannot see the fields that we created for the contact layout.  The custom fields that we created for this layout are the only fields missing.  Nothing on the PC's have changed... these fields stopped showing following replacement of the server.  We moved the database over from the drive of the old server, so we know that it has not changed.  And as stated, the fields that are missing do show up in the "Define Fields" table.

Thanks!

Copper Elite Contributor

Hi,

The custom fields must have been added to the out-of-the-box Contact layout, so you just need to add them back (or get the layouts from the old system).

To add the fields back, you need to go to Tools|Design Layouts|Contact (I'm not sure if this is different for older versions of Act!).

Here are some instructions for modifying your layouts.

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15332/~/designing-layouts-in-act!

Hope this helps.

Mark Rogers

Will adding the fields back this way bring out the data that was previously put into these fields?

Thanks!

Copper Elite Contributor

Yes, it will.

Mark Rogers

Best I can tell, this is a way to design those fields again... how can I retrieve the field layout from the old server?  Is there a folder or a particular file that I need to retrieve?  By the way, thank you for taking the time to answer these questions for me.

Copper Elite Contributor

Not exactly.  You don't need to design the fields again.  You just want to add them to a layout.

It is easy enough to do.  Just go to Tools|Design Layouts|Contact and drag a field object from the Toolbox to the location at which you would like the Phone Number to appear. You will be prompted for the field you are adding to the Layout.

Your contact layout files will have a cly extension and can be found in the Layouts folder for your database.  If you can get a copy of the modified layout, you should be able to drop it in the Layouts folder for your current database. (And of course you have to select it as your layout in Act!)

Mark Rogers