Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Field to Generate Note?

CEC
Tuned Listener

Field to Generate Note?

I have ACT! Premium FFP 12, Hotfix 3

I am looking for a way to use a field with a drop-down list to generate a note. There is an option on most fields to generate a history of a field event, but now that ACT! Separates history from notes my group is looking to clearly define what activities or client communication should be recorded in each area. So we have activities that we regularly engage in (thus the drop-down list) but want to record them in notes, not in history. Any way to accomplish this?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Field to Generate Note?

No. Field data can be recorded to History.

Notes are for free-form data that can't be tracked in the way History is
CEC
Tuned Listener

Thanks Mike.

I was afraid you were going to say that.  Still, we need a way to automate the entry headings for notes, and we don't want to overcrowd the history area which is going to get all of the operational issues.

Can the desired functionality be programmed in by a third-party?

The big issue has to do with the way that AFFP is suggesting you organize your client information.  The idea is to have one 'contact' for a client and then have all of the accounts listed in a tab. If you have five, ten or more accounts and keep track of operational issues then the history area is going to get pounded with entries. The Notes area then gets put into use in tracking all of the non-operational conversations and activity.    In earlier versions of ACT! (I am a long-time Act! 2004 user) I used a new contact page for each account. Thus, each client may have had five, ten or more contact entries, but at least each on had its own history, making the tracking down of operational issues a breeze.

I really wanted to adopt the one-contact/one-client approach, but in a busy practice, with no way to get more functionality out of notes, I may have to keep my old ways even with the new program.

Any ideas?

Bronze Contributor

Please add this as a request for future versions.  I have been requesting this for years.  Basically, I have asked that each note have a subject line and for the user to be given the option to display the standard number of lines (I think it is 8 or 9) or just the subject.  That would give the user a better view of a greater number of notes or history.  Then the education starts for users to write better subject lines.  Well, that's my 2 cents worth. 

You make your requests here.  This is one of the stongest features in Goldmine.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013