Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Field Text Position Annoyance / Company Field

Field Text Position Annoyance / Company Field

As I page down through my contacts the text, within the "Company Field," is positioned out-of-view to the left.  I've checked the design element and it's "left justified."  I usually place the cursor in the field and hit the home key to bring the Company text into view.  Please advise. Thanks!

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Field Text Position Annoyance / Company Field

Hello Jonoday,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

This is a reported issue with the Company Field, at this point there isn't a 'fix' available. 

The situation occurs when a Company Name is longer than the field length on the layout.  As a work-around, if you have room available, you can lengthen the Company Field on the layout (Tools > Design Layout > Contact) so that the probability of a Company Name being longer than the field is decreased.

Greg Martin
Sage

Thanks Greg.  It is happening with company names that are short and do not exceed the field length.  In other words, all "Company" field text.

Copper Contributor

PROBLEM:

When you have a contact or company name that is longer than the available space on the layout, the cursor moves to the end of the entry, visually truncating the first x letters of the name.  When this is the case, if you click the next record button you will often see the next entry truncated by the same number of characters even if the name length is well within the limits of the box.  Pressing home (if your insertion point is in the field) rectifies the issue but in some cases when the name was extremely long, the next record appeared to be empty. Once you scroll from a contact that has the Company value longer than your layout, the next contact’s company value will be truncated.

I upgraded all the people in my company yesterday to latest version of Act!.

This extremely annoying problem affects both the company and contact fields.

It affects almost every time we use Act! as we always scroll through multiple records. We also use Act! all day long, so you can imagine how frustrating this is. I am not in a position to change my layout either.

If it worked in the last version why on earth is it now broken?!!

Can you please tell me how long the fix will take? If it is not very soon, I will have to go back to my supplier that upgraded me yesterday and have him change my company's users back to the previous version then upgrade me again later when this most basic function works.

Please tell me that a fix is in the pipeline.

Thank you,

James

Hello James,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

I thank you for the detailed description of the issue, you are exactly right.  Unfortunately, we have not received a timeframe for resolution of this issue.

If you are considering converting back to a previous version of ACT!, you will need to make that decision quickly.  Once an ACT! database has been updated - it cannot be 'de'-converted back to a previous version.  You would need to restore a backup of the database created before the update.

As noted: the current work-around is to extend the length of the Company (and Contact) field to reduce the probability that a name will be longer than the field.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Hi Greg

It's not a suitable workaround for my layout.

And it's simply not a good enough answer either not to know when this will be fixed - if you demo'd this version to any propsective customer they would not buy - it's such a basic and painfully obvious mistake in the main 2 fields of the whole CRM !!!

(You also have not told me how something that has worked for many years and many versions of Act!, now doesn't work.)

I can only assume that it should be easy to put back / make the same as other fields that work.

I need a timescale - can you ask the developers please and let me know.

If it is not imminenrt not I will request my distributor / reseller to move us back to old version, then forward again to this new version, of course demanding that all costs are passed to Sage, plus any additional costs incurred (eg different databases)

Thank you,

James

Unfortunately, I have no further information to provide.

At this time, there is no published target date for a 'fix' to this issue.  Dates are not published until a resolution has been created, tested, and is ready for release.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

That's very poor service indeed

I've been with Act for over 8 years now, but this is not acceptable.

I will ask my re-seller to do all the extra work now and pass all the costs back to you.

(I'm sure you will quickly work out a timescale if the issue starts costing you thousands of dollars)

Support is important, so I will also, sadly, start looking at other CRMs.

J.

Copper Contributor

Talking of testing, why did Act! not test the new version (ie 2011) before letting us ugrade?

You cannot honestly tell me you did test it - you would of course have seen the glaring bugs and fixed them..

... Or maybe you did see these 'obvious-in-30 seconds-problems' and just let us all upgrade anyway?! (some way to treat your customers hey?)

Talking of this particular glaring bug, apparentry you've been working on a fix now for 4 or 5 months already - is that true?!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello Eco-Business,

Please see the following post on the Sage ACT! Journal board in this forum. It provides some good insight into the product management process regarding issues and enhancements:

How Are Product Management Decisions Made? Guest Blog by Mike Lazarus

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.