Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Feedback on Features and Fixes

Feedback on Features and Fixes

I have been using ACT for about 8 months and have various customers who use it as well. Here are somethings that I think should be changed or updated

1) No 64Bit support.

2) Renaming a computer ( with the database installed ) on the network craps out ACT and make the DB unaccessable

3) The SQL DB is password protected. SQL loves to eat memory but you can limit it in the database, but the password is random so guess what SQL just keeps eating up memory untill it hits its pre-programmed limit.

4) The SQL DB is password protected so i can't automate my backups.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Feedback on Features and Fixes

syn1234 wrote:

I have been using ACT for about 8 months and have various customers who use it as well. Here are somethings that I think should be changed or updated

1) No 64Bit support.

Have you made a feature request? 

2) Renaming a computer ( with the database installed ) on the network craps out ACT and make the DB unaccessable

That is because Windows controls SQL. Try deleting the PAD file and open with the ADF file. 

3) The SQL DB is password protected. SQL loves to eat memory but you can limit it in the database, but the password is random so guess what SQL just keeps eating up memory untill it hits its pre-programmed limit.

4) The SQL DB is password protected so i can't automate my backups.

You can schedule backups in the ACT! program and some backup programs like Genie Backup Manage Pro 8.0 will backup open files. I have tested it with the ACT! database and it works.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

1. Expected in ACT! 2009 (11.0)

2. SQL needs to know the machine name. Why would you be changing it?

3. You can set the SQL limits in ACTDIAG

4. Use the ACT! Backup and have your backup program backup it's ZIP file or stop the SQL services before doing the backup

Bronze Super Contributor

I just wanted to add

2) If you change your computer name remember to change the host name in the pad file also.

host="MyNewComputerName"

host="(local)"    

-- jim durkin