Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Fax Admin Doesn't Work in ACT! Pro 2012 after ACT! Pro 2011 Upgrade

Copper Contributor

Fax Admin Doesn't Work in ACT! Pro 2012 after ACT! Pro 2011 Upgrade

Since upgrading from Sage ACT! 2011 to Pro 2012, the add-on Fax Admin (by ASDS Computer Company), which was purchased from Sage for $79.00 on November 30, 2010, stops working. ASDS wants a $29.00 upgrade fee. That’s outrageous!

Fax Admin is nowhere close to what WinFax did for us in ACT v6 and certainly not worth the $79 purchase, nevertheless an additional $29 upgrade fee within a year from the original purchase date.

Sage needs to seriously rethink its relationships with add-on providers - they are ripping off your users. 

An Act! user since ACT! for DOS 1.0 (1988)
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Fax Admin Doesn't Work in ACT! Pro 2012 after ACT! Pro 2011 Upgrade

[ Edited ]

You know, it would be nice if it was a free upgrade.

But it ain't. The add-on developers are businesses, not charities. They ain't ripping you off.

[Edit: Comments removed. Please post courteously]

Copper Contributor

The developed made their money the first time around when the software was purchased. Why should we be expected to pay more for the exact same product with a new label ( 2012 replaces 2011).

We would love to know what changes in ACT! 2012 would have caused the add-on developer to expend on development man-hours. One would apt to be willing to pay for an upgrade if the developers were a bit more transparent and published version release notes showing us what changes or added features are in the new release.
Bronze Super Contributor

Yup, agree that if the release notes gave more detail showing what changes/features/fixes etc are in the new release, that would help justify the cost of an upgrade as many don't see where the time and effort has been expended by the developer.

Silver Contributor

Forgive the obvious bias, but...

Chevrolet doesn't give me the new model for free when it comes out again

McDonalds doesn't feed me when i'm hungry again.

My doctor doesn't see when I'm sick again.

Why, pray tell, do you expect the software manufacturer to give you free upgrades for life???

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Copper Contributor

Nice try but when an add-ons stop working simply because ACT! upgrades with no apparent changes to the add-on functionality then questions are going to be asked. Is the developer merely reselling the same version with a new label? If the developer cannot be a bit more forthcoming and transparent by providing release notes then they are open for such scrutiny.
Silver Super Contributor

If there are no upgrades to the functionality of the software the developer is merely charging for:

1)  Updating the software so that it works with the new version of ACT!

This isn't alway straight forward.  What if Sage put in a new module for faxing that didn't work with the old addon?

2)  Creating a new installer.

What if ACT! or the operating system changed and there are new challenges like UAC?

3)  Installation support for the new version

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Bronze Elite Contributor

As an add-on developer and also consumer of add-on software for ACT! from fellow developers I see validity in all these comments. My suggestion is that customers request release build/version release notes from the supplier if they question the additional value. With a product like ACT! developers operate in a large community of other developers, customers and ACT! consultants. It isn't in their long term best interest to demand an upgrade fee where there has been no development expenditure to justify the increase, the community has a tendency to bite back. 

I think it's healthy to be asking the question.   

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog