Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Fast way to update History for multiple contacts?

Tuned Listener

Fast way to update History for multiple contacts?

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have a trick that will let you update history for multiple contacts at one time that's FAST? When I try the 'regular' ways, because I have about 2,000 contacts, ACT! seems to go out to lunch and I have to do an End Task to quit. I think it's becase it takes so long per contact.

Thanks!

Mike

Re: Fast way to update History for multiple contacts?

If you're adding a history entry for 2,000 contacts at a time, I can see that it will take some time to complete the task.  I'm curious to know why you need to add a history entry for 2,000 contacts.
Tuned Listener

Hi David,

We use direct mail a lot, and we send out monthly postcards to the 2,000+ people and occasional other types of mail (postal mail). Because of the size of the mailings, we don't print directly from ACT!, instead, we export a list and use other presorting software.

So what we'd like to do is record in History each mailing that goes out to each contact.

Thanks!

Mike

Unfortunately in this case, I cannot think of a different way to record history for your contacts.  You could use a field instead to specify if you've sent the customer an email.
Tuned Listener

Hi David,

Thanks for thinking about it.

Mike

JM
Nickel Contributor

Mike,

I suggest you create 1 or more mailer01_2009, mailer02_2010 ect. (so you can retain multiple codes for each record) Define Fields each about two characters long for Contacts and or for Company tables depending on where you will extract the CSV from for the mailers.  Next create from Define Fields a "Manage drop-down list(s)" define the codes adding description that describes each mailer code. Decide if you should prevent "don't allow users to edit" or automatically add new and even allow others only read-only and only you insert the codes. Add the fields to a current or new layout tab or place in the top Primary Contact Detail section.

Here is why:

1. I learned when you create too many history records for contacts (any type such as simple small "fields changed") the DB grows in size and performance drops.

2. It's easy to create Groups and or history reports whom got what when.

3. I don't like the checkbox method and layout stating what each box is because it's little harder to generate reports and see / manipulate sorting from a contact list view of records.

4. Helps to easily replace or change those records fields codes if there was an error or future change of plans what the code mean.

How to code them

Mailer01_2009 (two char long) code- "01" Mailer 1 to some region or reason =description show details so when selecting codes you know meaning.

Mailer01_2009 code- "02" could mean a second mailer went out after first one went.

Mailer01_2009 code- "10" could mean this is a specific mailer piece.

Than when 2010 comes up you replace the layout defined fields so no more code are inserted in 2009. Other option is one field with 4-8 charc long and the code looks like 20090100.

I hope this offers suggestions.

JM