Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Failed to update database because the database is read-only

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Failed to update database because the database is read-only

Installed ACT2010 and am running the database conversion utility on a Win2003 Server.  The conversion process keeps failing with the message: "Failed to update database [database name] because the database is read-only."  I did a test conversion of this same database 2 months ago without incident.  I'm now converting this database again but saving it to a different directory on the local drive.  How can a new database be read-only?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by ghollister (Platinum Elite Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Failed to update database because the database is read-only

Thanks for the suggestions all.  It turned out to be a Windows permissions issue on the folder I was saving the database to.  Once we reset the permissions, it converted without a hitch.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Contributor

Greetings

I believe this issue is caused by the ADF and ALF files being set to read only. Here is a link to the kb regarding this. http://tinyurl.com/yhparqp

regards,

Yes, I saw that article but since I'm converting an ACT 6 database, the conversion process is actually creating the ADF and ALF files as read-only.  There are no initial ADF and ALF files at the start.  Why would these files be created as read-only and then ACT tells me it can't update them because they are read-only?

Actually, I just tried this again and it does not create the ADF and ALF files as read-only.  So the files are not read-only, yet the conversion routine is telling me that they are.  I have also noticed that the conversion creates an ADF file that is 27,520 KB and an ALF file that is 1,536 KB.  It fails at those sizes every time.  Any one have any thoughts as to what that could be telling me?

Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

I can think of two possibilities, the folder where you are trying to create the database is a compressed folder or the ACT! 6 database has a corrupted record that is blocking the completion of the conversion.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Solution
Accepted by ghollister (Platinum Elite Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Thanks for the suggestions all.  It turned out to be a Windows permissions issue on the folder I was saving the database to.  Once we reset the permissions, it converted without a hitch.