Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Failed to restore remote database. Failed to open a connection to the database

Copper Contributor

Failed to restore remote database. Failed to open a connection to the database

I updated a remote database, sent it to the remote computer, and the error I get in opening it is in the subject line (therefore, it won't open). I ran ACTDIAG, and is says recovery _pending for both databases I'd like to open (.rdb).

I tried following KB 13657, but I get an error when selecting the database (ACT! Pro v18). there's a dll error "unable to cast object of type system.dbnbull to type system.string.  This is on a computer running windows 10. Any help would be appreciated. More details, I hit OK on the dialog box, and the same one pops up again, hitting OK on that one brings up another one with a whole bunch of diagnostic details - but basically it's: object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Employee

Re: Failed to restore remote database. Failed to open a connection to the database

Hi,

Can you confirm if you are able to open anyother databases?? Are you able to create a new database.

If all the above steps work then try this.

Stop sql server and then take a manual backup of the database(Copy all the db files) and then restart sql server and check if the database goes online.

Also the database location in the actdiag where it shows recovery, ensure the database copy is located in that location.

Copper Contributor

Re: Failed to restore remote database. Failed to open a connection to the database

I can not open an existing database (I tried act Demo) - I can create a new database.

The database I'm trying to open is a remote one. I can not stop or start (or do anything else) via ACTDIAG - I get nullstring errors.

Employee

Hi,

Stop sql from services.msc and copy the database file. Now do not cut them and then restart SQL and then go to actdiag and check if the database says online