Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Failed to open a connection to the database

Failed to open a connection to the database

Has anyone had this problem?  When trying to bring up ACT07, I get the above message.  When I click okay it give me an ERROR stating 'The application has encountered an error and has been shut down.  Would you like to report the error?'  I have reported the error but have received no response.  Can anyone help??

Copper Contributor

Re: Failed to open a connection to the database

uninstall all the dot netf framework from ypur pc from teh add /remove programs or you can do the same by downloading the tool

http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip that cleanup the dotnet

and then restart the pc and then reinstall the dotnetfx from the cd

(cdrom\dependencies)

and then it should work if issue persists update to 9.0.1.162 hotfix3 

This is more of an issue with SQL. 

First, check services.msc (Start > Run > services.msc) and start SQL Server (ACT7).  If its already started, disable any antivirus or firewalls.  If none of those steps work, follow the knowledgebase article below.

Error: "Could not connect to the SQL Server Instance" or "Failed to open a connection to the databas...

The .NET cleanup tool should only be ran if you're having a serious .NET issue.  Running the tool can cause issues with other programs that require .NET. 

Hi all, -  we have the same problem, No database connection is possible and deinstalling and reinstalling of  SQL  as well as .net  did not fix the prob.

Anyway, before de-and reinstalling the complete Act-Software, I have some questions. 

I can see 3 files ,  one .adf  file (approx 93MB)  and one .pad  file (approx 310Bytes) and one .alf file (exactly 1024 Bytes).

Which file contains what ? 

Will I be able to use these files again after reinstalling the complete Act-Software ?

Anyone an idea ?  Thanks in advance, Jojo

Platinum Super Contributor

The Act! database files - short description:

ADF - the main database file.  Some of the data it contains is: field data, notes, history, activities,  opportunities, etc.

PAD - this is just a 'pointer' file.  The information it contains is the computer name and directory for the main database file (ADF).

ALF - the log file.  This file works in conjunction with the ADF.

'databasename-database files' folder - this folder contains your templates, reports, attachments, layouts, dashboards, and queries. 

You will be able to use these same files after uninstalling/reinstalling the Act! program.  If you would like to make a copy of them before uninstalling Act!, go to the Services screen and stop the 'SQL Server (Act7)' service - this will release SQL's hold on the files and you can copy/paste them to another directory.

Greg Martin
Sage