Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Failed to attach file to datastore

Failed to attach file to datastore

We have been attaching files (scanned through PaperPort) to document tab for many months now with now problem.  This past week we have started having difficulty with it.  Most of the time when we try to attach we get the message "failed to attach the file to the datastore".  Once in a while, it will attach.  We really need this feature and can't figure out what happened.  Any ideas?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Failed to attach file to datastore

Tried that, but paper port is functioning properly.  What concerns me is that this began immediately after adding a license.  License for a third computer, so now have two different serial numbers (one for the first two and a third one).  Otherwise, everything is the same.  Same computer, same user, same software.  It will bring up the folder with the documents, but refused to attach.  I suspect the best thing I can do is call ACT and hold (tried, but after 45 minutes had a patient to test).  Any other ideas?

Sounds like PaperPort was working with the single user database but hasn't been set up to handle a mult-user database

But it was working when we had 2 users.

Hmmm... well, I've not used PaperPort, so not sure what it's trying to do or looking for.

I have this same problem however it is with a MS word document.

Is there any solution for this?

Sorry for bumping an old thread but i cannot seem to find a solution anywhere else.

Copper Elite Contributor

The thing is that even though ACT! was installed on two computers, SQL is licensed by named user so as far as SQL is concerned it was a single user database until the second license was added on the third machine.  I took a look at Paperport's website and it basically refers to the Pro version as being designed for multiple seats/users.  Which Paperport are you using and how many licenses do you have (Pro vs Standard)? Theoretically it shouldn't matter once the PDF file is created.  You could also check the folder permissions on the attachments folder in the supplemental files collection and the permissions on the file that you are trying to attach and whether it is read only or not.  Also if you haven't done any maintenance lately like a compress/reindex it might not be a bad idea to do one. You can also look in the Windows system logs using eventvwr.msc about the time you tried doing the attachment.

Since this problem is not PaperPort, and it is not Microsoft word and we are seeing it quite consistantly with Microsoft Excel created sales order and invoice documents that we are trying to attach to the documents tab ..... does anyone really have any "good" info on where to start looking.  It does not seem appropriate to start blaming every third party piece of software on the planet... especially since they have all been working previously.... we have using this modality for several years and it has functioned correctly thru multiple upgrades of both the ACT product, The exponenciel product and and the upgrades to the Microsoft products.... plus it is only the last 90 days or so that the issue has started after several years of appropriate operation...

I guess what I am saying is that if all we get is snippets of "it must be the other guys fault" what good is this board

Copper Super Contributor

Try the suggestions in the following Knowledge Base article.  These types of issues may be the result of permissions issues or a damaged database:

KB:  Failed to attach file to datastore

This might help.  Of course, always try another database, too, for comparison.  Hope this information helps.

Robin Granados
Customer Support Analyst – ACT!