Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Failed to Create Remote Database - Stream does not support writing - What is this?

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Failed to Create Remote Database - Stream does not support writing - What is this?

I am trying to create a remote database from the master. When I do, I get the following error message:

"Failed to create remote database <remote database name>. Stream does not support writing. Please contact the administrator for help. "  

Then amusingly it asks if I want to create another remote database. Hum, couldn't make the first one. "Fool me once...."

Why would I get this error message? I don't understand the "stream" message. The Sage ACT knowledge base area has nothing returned for the search term "stream". Any help, as I am stuck without a remote database to sync to my master.

Thank you. 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author haslamjd
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Failed to Create Remote Database - Stream does not support writing - What is this?

[ Edited ]

Okay, I found the fix for my situation on ACT version 9 or 2007. 

1. Uninstall .NET 2,0 SP1 from your computer
  2. Restart your computer.
  3. Reinstall .NET 2.0 from the ACT installation disk
  4. Restart your computer.
  5. Make a new database and add the necessary fields to your custom areas like the contacts template to match your old database. Copy any profiles from the old database to the new.
  6. Import the old database into the new
  7. make a new remote database
  8. install the remote on your other computer
  9. synchronize the databases
The solution was the combination of removing .NET 2.0 SP1 (Gotta love MS), and importing into a new database. Hope this helps someone else in need.

Message Edited by haslamjd on 07-17-2008 02:19 PM

View solution in original post

All Replies

Re: Failed to Create Remote Database - Stream does not support writing - What is this?

haslamjd,

Which version of ACT! are you using (Help | About ACT!)?

Try running database maintenance from ACT! Diagnostics using the following knowledgebase article.

Database Rebuild and Repair Procedures

Solution
Accepted by topic author haslamjd
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Okay, I found the fix for my situation on ACT version 9 or 2007. 

1. Uninstall .NET 2,0 SP1 from your computer
  2. Restart your computer.
  3. Reinstall .NET 2.0 from the ACT installation disk
  4. Restart your computer.
  5. Make a new database and add the necessary fields to your custom areas like the contacts template to match your old database. Copy any profiles from the old database to the new.
  6. Import the old database into the new
  7. make a new remote database
  8. install the remote on your other computer
  9. synchronize the databases
The solution was the combination of removing .NET 2.0 SP1 (Gotta love MS), and importing into a new database. Hope this helps someone else in need.

Message Edited by haslamjd on 07-17-2008 02:19 PM

Great!  Thanks for following up with your resolution.

Just to let everyone know I had the same error report of "stream does not support writing" when trying to create a remote database on Act! 2008 V 10.  This occured after having worked fine for a year and having previously created remotes successfully. Having spent hours uninstalling .NET, SQL express, ACT etc as per suggestions in the forum I discovered that my anti virus software (Bitdefender) was causing the issue.  If you have the same issue you might want to try that first as disabling AV only takes a minute.

Best
David

Disabling the AV was the correct solution.