Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Failed re-install V 9.0

Failed re-install V 9.0

ACT! 2007 (9.0) running on Dell Latitude D620 Windows XP MS Ofice 2007. In the last few weeks would only boot from a fresh machine reboot. Decided to uninstall cleanup and reinstall. Did the uninstall, even uninstalled the SQL and yet upon trying to re-install the Wizard (sic) insists that this program is already on the machine and suggest try again later! Took a look at the manual uninstall instruction and looks great if you went to MIT, and graduated from the machine code school **bleep** laude.

BTW did I mention it is Saturday?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Failed re-install V 9.0

Hello databungler,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. In your post, when you said "upon trying to re-install the Wizard (sic) insists that this program is already on the machine and suggest try again later!", what is the actual error message that you received when trying to reinstall? And what is referring to ACT! or to the ACT7 instance of SQL?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks for the response. Here is the sequence:-

Close all Windows programs - OK

Turn off Norton for 30 mins - OK

Insert ACT! CD - OK

Choose Install from menu - OK

Get to choose regional version panel of the install Wizard and a smaller panel appears stating, "The Version of ACT! that you are installing is the same as your current version" There is no choice of paths from here so I click on OK.

New Wizard panel appears stating:-

"InstallShield Wizard Completed

The wizard was interrupted before ACT! could be installed.

The system has not been modified. To install this program at a later time, run the installation again"

There are no path choices so I click on OK and get returned the the original installation menu panel!

Just to remind you I had already uninstalled the previous installation, and on the advice of the ACT! web-site found and deactivated the SQL server. I am not sure what you mean by "referring to  the ACT7 instance of SQL"

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

This sounds like a Windows Installer issue, where the installer has retained the install files from a previous installation attempt. You can try manually removing these files. If not already on your machine, you will need to download and install the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility:

- Close all open programs, except your Internet browser and this post

- Download the MSICUU via the following link: http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/d/e9d80355-7ab4-45b8-80e8-983a48d5e1bd/msicuu2.exe

- Once installed, open the utility from the Programs list on your Start menu (Windows Install Clean Up)

- In the list programs, if see ACT! in the list then highlight it and select Remove. Close the utility when done

- Go to Start/Run (XP) or Start/Search (Vista) and type installer

- When the Installer windows comes up, right-click in the row of column headers and add the Author column. Then sort the list by Author.

- Scroll down to the files where the Author is Sage. Delete all .msi files where Sage is the author

- Close the Installer window

- Reboot you machine and install ACT!

Message Edited by ghollister on 11-10-2009 05:15 PM

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks. I did as suggested except that in the installer window there were no column headers at which to right click and add author. Subsequnet re-install efforts produce the same reuslt as before.

Now I am wondering if I buy the latest version of the program will I actually be able to install it over the fragments of rogue code that seem to operating a terrorist operation?

Nickel Elite Contributor

I am afraid I don't understand your statement:

I did as suggested except that in the installer window there were no column headers at which to right click and add author. Subsequnet re-install efforts produce the same reuslt as before.

Could you clarify this for us please?  What are you expecting based on this statement?

thanks

Matthew McFadden
Tuned Listener

Just wanted to pass on a BIG KUDOS here Smiley Happy  After using a registry cleaner, ACT! 2009 failed to launch.  After various attempts to fix the issue - chose to re-install which did not work as I kept getting an error stating a newer version is already installed.  In previous versions I would delete the registry values which would fix this issue - this time however it did not.   

Following the Windows Install Cleaner did the trick!  Thanks for your help!