Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Failed ACt install by Act support earlier this year. Product freezesUnInstalled and tried to reinstall but can not remove old SQL instance

Failed ACt install by Act support earlier this year. Product freezesUnInstalled and tried to reinstall but can not remove old SQL instance

Silver Super Contributor

Re: Failed ACt install by Act support earlier this year. Product freezesUnInstalled and tried to reinstall but can not remove old SQL instance

[ Edited ]

Joe,

You will probably need to remove it using a tool designed for removing apps.  Microsoft has developed one that I haven't tried but you could give it a try.  You can find it at:  http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

You could try the Revo Uninstaller (there is a free edition).  You could also remove the registry keys but if you don't know how to do that you probably should contact someone familiar with the process.  If none of those choices work I would get in touch with an ACT! Certified Consultant.  You can find one at www.act.com/acc.

Let us know how it goes.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

Re: Failed ACt install by Act support earlier this year. Product freezesUnInstalled and tried to reinstall but can not remove old SQL instance

Thanks for the information. I'm been on hold with the ACT customer support folks for 30 minutes. They need to hire more people.  I'll look at your suggestions. I found info on the knowledge base to manually unstall SQl and ACT as well as the registry entries. Did it seven times with no interruptions from the family and still couldn't solve the problem. Constantly get the notice that SQL is installed and the install of ACT aborts.  I had perforfmance issues with the original install and went to the ACT support team. It never really worked right after they did their work. Enter 6-8 contacts then it would freeze or give the message that the entires were not in the database.  Program woudl freeze regularly and need to be restarted, probably 10 times each day.  It jsut got too frustrating so I had time this weekend to do a reinstall and now I'm findging that wasn't a good idea either.

Silver Super Contributor

Joe,

It sounds to me like you might be having other issues with your system that are showing up as ACT! issues.  It's possible that you had a bad ACT! install but it's also possible that you have a virus, spyware or a hardware issue with your system.  The ACT! support people are pretty good at what they do so they should be able to help you out once you get one on the line.

Stan 

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

What the tech supprot folks found this mornig is a missing XP OS file:  MS Distributed Transaction Coordinator ad the clue was that on the install they recieved the error message I ws recieving when trying to install SQL 2005 Express:  CDM Plus Catalog Requirment didn't install

Not sure what to do at this point

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Though troubleshooting Windows O/S issues is usually outside the scope of ACT! support, see if this helps in regards to the MSDTC service:
- Go to your Start button, click Run or go to the Search box and type "services.msc". In the list of services see if Distributed Transaction Coordinator is listed and started. If not started, then right-click and start the service (the executable for this service (msdtc.exe) is located in the following directory: C:\Windows\system32
* Also make sure that the Remote Procedural Call and the Security Accounts Manager services are started as well. MSDTC is dependent on these services.
- If it is missing, then you may be able to reinstall it using the following steps:
1. Click your Start button and either click Run or go to the Search box.
2. Type "cmd" to bring up the command prompt
3. At the command prompt, type the following to uninstall the Distributed Transaction Coordinator service:
"msdtc -uninstall" and press your Enter key. (make note of the spacing in the command)
4. Then type the following to install the Distributed Transaction Coordinator service:
"msdtc -install"
5. Reboot your computer

Additional tips:
- Disable User Account Control (UAC) if using Windows Vista or Windows 7. You can do this through the User Accounts option in your Windows Control Panel.
- Add the following filepath as a program exception to your firewall: C:\Windows\system32\msdtc.exe

These are just suggestions based on the information provided in this post. If this issue persists after trying the above steps, you may need to contact Microsoft support for assistance.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Greig

Thank you for the guidance.  The Distributed transaction Coordinator, Remote Procedural Call ( and Locator), as well as the Security Accounts Manager were all set to "Manual" and I reset them to Automatic.  I also ran the uninstall and install as you suggested . Upon reboot they were all still in "Automatic" mode.  But no luck as I still had the COM+ error when installing SQL.  Did a web search for "Work Around COM+ System Configuration Check Failure in SQL Server Setup" did exactly as described and that solved the problem.  Did a manual uniinstall of SQL and ACT , rebooted and reinstalled SQL with no errors of any kind.  Installed ACT and it wouldn't open up so I did another manual uninstall, reinstalled everything, and it is now up and running.  We'll see if daily use solves the issues I was having. 

As the COM+ component is integral to running SQL and SQL is integral to running ACT 2101, I do believe that SAGE ACT tech support should have the skill sets to resolve these problems.

Joe