Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Extend Phone field to more digits

Extend Phone field to more digits

Hello, I need to place phone numbers into the ACT! database that have more than 30 digits! I cannot change the length of the phone number field with the "Define fields" option ("Tools" --> "Define Fields") in ACT! (using version 2008). Is there a hidden setting to extend the phone field by x-digits? Is there any workaround one can think of? Thanks a lot on advance!!!
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Extend Phone field to more digits

Where would a phone number contain 30 digits?

If not using a dialer, you could always create a Numeric field for this

Hello Mike, thanks for the super quick response! The reason for more than 30 digits is as following: I am using a callthrough service when calling from my mobile phone internationally, i.e. I dial a login number (say 15 digits), than dial a passcode number (6 digits) and than the phone number (>10 numbers will use up >30 digits in total!). I stored the entire dial sequence in Outlook without problems and have synced these numbers with my Windows Mobile phone without problems. Now I am trying to use Act! and want to sync the phone numbers with my mobile phone utilizing Companionlink Pro. The sync works troubleless BUT as long as I cannot place ALL digits into ACT! the callthrough won't work :-( You wrote "If not using a dialer, you could always create a Numeric field for this" --> I am NOT using ACT! to dial BUT I would need to have the numbers synced with my mobile phone (do you think I could use a numeric field and sync this?) Thanks for the response!!

No, CompanionLink won't match a Numeric field in ACT! to a Phone field on the device

What sort of phone?

We've just had a change made to the Windows Mobile version of Handheld Contact for just this purpose. It's in beta now and should be released in a week or two.

The call-through number is entered in the Preferences leaving the phone numbers to be entered as normal

If you have a Win Mobile device, let me know and I'll get you the beta to try.

Dear Mike,
I am using a Windows Mobile 6 mobile phone (Brand is: HTC Model: TyTN).

I would be happy to try the Beta Version of Handheld Contact. Please send me a link here or an email. Thanks in advance :-)

Dear Mike,
I just had a look at the Website of Handheld Contact: it says that it is compatible for 2005,2006 and 2007 BUT no mentioning of 2008 --> is the new version you are referring to ACT! 2008 compatible?

The new version with that function has now been released and it on our downloads page... it even supports an Over The Air install to make installing even easier.

Did you try the beta? Did it work for you?