Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Exporting

Exporting

I am fairly computer literate, but am flummoxed by my inability to export the contact data from my desktop so I can import it onto my notebook.  Every time I try I get an error message that says the application is open and being used.  I know it's not open.  What do I do?  And, why is this so damned hard to do?  Thanks.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Exporting

What exactly are you trying to do?

It sounds like you are meaning to set up synchronization between the desktop and the notebook... if so, see:

http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/01/sharing-act-network-or-sync-part-1.html

Are you trying to copy the ADF and ALF files? If so, those files are opened by the SQL server and they are opwn even when the ACT! program is closed.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

i AM TRYING TO EXPORT JUST  MY CONTACTS TO THE "D" DRIVE. WHICH WHEN iT'S TRANSFERED i WILL BURN THE DISK.

i GET A MESSAGE SAYING THE FILE IS OPEN.  WELL OF COURSE IT'S OPEN I HAVE TO CLICK ON FILE THEN EXPORT TO START THE PROCESS.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

CRIS

I am trying to export all of my contacts to the D drive to transfer them to another computer.

1. Why are you trying to export?
2. Are you just trying to move the database to another computer?

Mike,  I want to copy the data of all the Contacts, Companies, Address's,  Phone Numbers,

I have a office in another borough so I would like both data bases to coincide.

I figured if I can but all contacts  in my Client file on my D drive, burn the disk, It would make life easier.

That's the wrong way to do it ... what it sounds like you really want to do is to set up synchronisation between the two system.
See: http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/01/sharing-act-network-or-sync-part-1.html

Mike,  Thank you for taking the time to address my problem.  I think I didn't make my self clear, I do not want to set-up a sync. Between the two offices. Once I get them the list of my Contacts they're on their own. Too put it bluntly.

So I'm back to my question how do I transfer Just the contacts, address's City and State's.

Best

Cris