Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Exporting memo fields to excel

Accepted Solution Solved
Tuned Listener
Accepted Solution

Exporting memo fields to excel

I have a client using ACT! 2011. When he exports a memo field to excel using the toolbar button "Export to Excel" it cuts off part of the memo. I tested my own ACT! 2012 Premium and found the same thing. It puts out at least a few hundred characters but does cut it short.

Running an export throught he File - Export method works fine. I'm guessing that the memo is cut short because it doesn't display the whole box on the contact list and it only exports what it sees from that screen.

Anyone have a resolution to this other than exporting the longer way?

Marshall Hayes
ACT! Certified Consultant
Hayes Consulting LLC
www.HayesConsultingOnline.com

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author HayesConsulting
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Exporting memo fields to excel

I believe you are seeing this as Excel has a 256 character per cell limit for importing in from a third-party program, like ACT!

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author HayesConsulting
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

I believe you are seeing this as Excel has a 256 character per cell limit for importing in from a third-party program, like ACT!

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

[ Edited ]

Actually, let me add to this. There was a limit in Excel 2003 of 255 characters, which was increased to a much higher limit in Excel 2007. However, since ACT! 2012 still supports Office 2003, the 255 character limit has been maintained within in ACT! when exporting directly to Excel.

Greig Hollister

Tuned Listener

Thanks for the quick feedback! Glad to know what's going on in the background even if there isn't a "resolution". At least we have a surefire work around, by exporting through the File - Export function.

Marshall Hayes
ACT! Certified Consultant
Hayes Consulting LLC
www.HayesConsultingOnline.com